Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

POTTY TRAINING ADVICE NEEDED

I started potty training my 22mth old daughter yesterday & although she'll happily sit on her potty chair while fully clothed she wont sit on it without pants on. I know its only early days but I wondered if anyone else has had this problem & how they got around it?

We're now half way through our 2nd day of "accidents" & though I'm not in any rush & expected lots of accidents I was wondering when I should expect her to sit on her potty?
I've been letting her just wear askirt & normal pants, should I leave the pants off for a few days or is she better in them so as she can feel "wet"?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Hilary

Replies

• Options
    Thanks, it helps to know I'm not the only one with difficulty at the start. We have managed to get her to sit on her potty now & even managed to catch a few pees & poos. I have a reward chart which I agree works wonders but now our latest hurdle is that she can hold from she gets up in the morning til naptime (her naptime is at 3.30) & then from naptime til bedtime (9.30)!!!
    I know noone ever said pottytraining was easy but it can be so frustrating at times, though I never would let her know I'm frustrated.
    How long did it take for your lo to potty train & use her potty regularly?

Hilary x
  • Options

Started with my 20 month old this week. I feel exasperated by it all,and have been questioning myself about whether i am staring too early.
    I suppose it is going ok really, considering. I have decided not to leave the wet knickers on, til she has more control i felt it was a bit cruel? Not sure though.

My little girl will only sit on the potty if I take her knickers right off.

Other things that seem to have helped are: a small baby potty that her toy dolly uses at the same time. I have also rewarded each wee with a massive clap and a chocolate button from special pot

What a nightmare though, i had never appreciated it could be so hard!!!!
  • Options
    I agree that it takes a good 3 weeks of persistance. Fortunately my lo seems to have really got the hang of things in the past week. Yesterday I was in th kitchen & she ran in to me & shouted " mummy quick look pee pees!" I ran in expecting a huge puddle on the floor but to my surprise she had managed to take her trousers & pants down, pee in the potty & pull them back up again. I was so pleased with her that I could have cried. I'm glad to say that the persistancehas def paid off coz shehas done the same so far today to.

Hilary x
  • Options
    id say once the nappies are gone, they are gone, except at bedtime of course. just put them in pants and then there is no going back, i have been told having them feel 'wet' if they pee is good but this ddnt ork for my wee one, she just still ran around wuite happy all wet, but definitely once theyve done the first pee in the potty the hard parts over.loads of rewards, mine didnt realy grsp the concept of sticker charts but just gave her loads of praise. when out in buggy had her on a plastic bag with a towe over it and we just got on with it.
  • Options
    I'm pleased to say that things have really clicked with my lo & potty training is going great. We can even go out in pants to the shops now & I can be confident there will be no little accidents
    Thanks for all your help & advice

Hilary x
  • Options
    Glad things are working out, my 26 month old boy did his first wee in the potty tonight I was so excited and rang all my friends!! Been doing 'practice runs' as they say. Went out and bought big boy Thomas vests and pants today just in case it is the right time. Went on ebay to get a chart mentioned by bagley in the earlier thread. Bought potty training in 7 days by Ms Ford, not keen on those type of books but going to give it a try, bought potty time with bear in the big blue house DVD and pop up book, so no doubt he'll not be ready til he is three. lol. Its really helped seeing the thread and knowing it may take a while and not just 7 days as advertised!!! fingers crossed four weeks time he will be trained in time for playgroup. Only problem is I will need to start to suss out where all the toilets are in the places I usually go. Is this a major problem?
    Saz
  • Options
    So my 17month old hates having his bum changed - see my other thread. What are the basic re potty training - what equipment do i need, where do i start. Had thought about getting the Gina Ford book, but her style isn't really me, but if it does work, i'll give it a try. Not sure i can cope with accidents though, can you still wear pull ups whilst being trained or is that defeating the object? any advice/tips appreciated. Ta
  • Options
    I've got a potty for my 18 month old boy. I have the problem that HilaryC had where he will sit on the potty fully clothed but won't sit on the potty without his nappy on. I say 'would you like to do a wee wee in the potty?' and his reply is 'nappy'! I know he is still quite young still for potty training, but the potty is there for him to get used to. I am going to buy him a book about potty's. Does anyone recommend a good one?
  • Options
    I've got a potty for my 18 month old boy. I have the problem that HilaryC had where he will sit on the potty fully clothed but won't sit on the potty without his nappy on. I say 'would you like to do a wee wee in the potty?' and his reply is 'nappy'! I know he is still quite young still for potty training, but the potty is there for him to get used to. I am going to buy him a book about potty's. Does anyone recommend a good one?

Hi JammyCat, you're little boy looks so cute - love the pic. Welcome xx
  • Options
    I had difficulty finding a good potty training book but my mum found one in M&S that had a sticker chart in the back. I'm not sure really just how much use the book was for Amy though we do still get it out & talk about potty so it doesnt do any harm. The sticker chart on the otherhand has been a great incentive for her. We already use a reward chart so she already had the jist of how it worked so she really loved having a 'special' potty rewars chart too.
    Of course you still have to persuade them to sit on the potty unclothed & then do something in it. I spoke to my HV about the best way to approach this as I didnt want to put her off altogether & had though of giving her a small reward (1 tiny sweet) each time she sat on it. The HV agreed that this was the best approach & in time we could progress to a small reward & a sticker for her chart each time she does something in her potty. We have now reached that stage & it definately makes life alot easier too.
    I'm not sure about these books that have rigid routine ,although I do agree that children need routine, but all children are different so the same routine will not suit them all & sometimes these books can have the opposite effect as they can be stressful to follow though there are people who swear by them.
    I dont think that using training pants can do any harm, we use the huggies ones with the pictures that disappear when we go out as I dont want Amy to be put off or feel embarrassed if she has an accident when we go out, coz there are not always toilets as close as you need them, but we always use cotton pants in the house.
    My advice to anyone starting would be dont put a time limit on it & be patient coz from my experience its like one day you think theyre not catching on & then the next it all just seems to fall into place

Hilary x
  • Options
    Thank you for the welcome Cathy and for the advice Hilary.
  • Options
    Good luck with the potty training & dont worry if it doesnt happen overnight coz you can always come on here & vent your frustration! I forgot to say that I got a 'potty chair' rather than a potty & Amy was alot happier sitting on it compared to the normal potty

Hilary x
  • Options
    We've had the same approach with no3. Both my girls were day dry quite quickly, loved using the potty etc, then graduating to the toilet! The younger of the 2 was night dry 1st which spurred on the older one. However, no3 is a boy and we weren't sure wot to expect time wise/age wise etc having only pottied girls! He's 3 in November and in the last 6 months has taken a big interest in toilets etc, asks to b changed when poo'd or overly wet but although he likes to sit on the toilet, will not go in it. My mum remembered she still had a potty tucked away and it's been in the house a cpl of days now.....and he used it today, all by himself - did 2 wee's b4 bedtime! I totally agree thou, the more relaxed you are about it the easier it does seem to be! Roll on potty training for no4 (he's only 7 months, so got some time yet lol)!
  • Options
    Hi all, my mother in law is giving me a hard time on every visit, saying our two year old should have learned to use the potty months ago as he's 'intelligent enough' but he just isn't having it. Like a few of you have said, he will come and sit on his potty when I am on the toilet but he doent want his clothes off:x I just don't know what to do with him and feel if I go down the 'swap to pants' route I wont be able to go out of the house for fear of accidents. I meet my friends out with their children during the week and that would make it impossible. M.I.L is really getting me down and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting it all wrong and doing a bad job:cry: Please help Amy x
  • Options
    They all learn at different rates Amy, don't worry bout it. The harder you push and they're not ready, the harder it will be in the long run. Both my girls were day & nite dry by bout 18 months but my little boy is 3 end of November and is only just getting the hang of it. Just watch out for the signs that he's heading in the right direction, like showing an interest when you use toilet, asking to be changed when wet or poo'd, things like that.

Good luck and don't feel bad, it'll happen without you even realising it probably!!!
  • Options
    oh amy don't listen to the mil lol!! boys especially seem to take longer to 'train'. mine was about 2 1/2 when he decided he wanted to use the potty, he's 4 now and still wears pull ups at night. i agree that you cant train them until they are ready it'll just be very wet and stressful. just keep the potty out and he'll know that he can use it if he wants to. i did try to train mine earlier but he was having none of it then one day he decided he would do it!! try not to worry, sure he'll get it soon x.
    p.s millie- i've heard that if you put them on the potty early (when they can sit up!!) they'll learn to associate with it and learn quicker when the time comes. mine is 8 month and i'm going to try it!!
  • Options
    good luck!! no 4 is 7 months but hasn't mastered the 'weeble-bum' yet, so isn't sitting unaided but guess that'll only b a matter of time! just started rolling over all the way, he'll prob crawl b4 he can sit lol
  • Options
    hey millie1807! mine couldn't sit up til a couple of weeks ago when he learnt to sit himself up from lying on the floor, then he soon learned to sit as he kept falling on his face!! i'm waiting for him to crawl but don't think it's going to happen, he's trying to pull himself up on the furniture already!! x.
  • Options
    My 3rd, Luke, loved crawling! In fact, although he cud motor round using the furniture, he didn't walk 'properly' til he was 15 months!! The same day, he discovered wot fun it was to climb the furniture, the bed, the stairs - there was no stopping him! My girls were 10 months and 11 months walking but the stairs eluded them for about a year!!
  • Options
    My 3rd, Luke, loved crawling! In fact, although he cud motor round using the furniture, he didn't walk 'properly' til he was 15 months!! The same day, he discovered wot fun it was to climb the furniture, the bed, the stairs - there was no stopping him! My girls were 10 months and 11 months walking but the stairs eluded them for about a year!!