Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Restless legs!!!!!

Hi has anyone got any magic ideas to stop restless legs there driving me mad!! they keep me awake most of the night ive tried having warm baths even at 3'0clock in the morn that dosnt seem to help someone suggested bananas they havn't worked im up pacing the floor at all hours & nothing seems to be helping getting desperate!! am willing to try anything!

Replies

• Options
    hi cloclo, i get the same problem but only my left leg, went to the doc and he told me i have strain on my back. didnt give me any tips on how to get rid of it tho. sorry not much help but if you find out how to stop it then let me know. sonia.xx
  • Options
    thanks for getting back,Husbands come home with sanctuary leg & foot spray someone told him that might help will let you know if it does xo
  • Options
    I had restless legs when I was pregnant. The only bit of relief I got was a (not too hot) bath with Radox Muscle Soak. It didn't get rid of it but it settled them down a bit for bed time.
  • Options
    hi cloclo
    I dont have this problem, but my dad (who obviously isnt pregnant, mind you if he were he'd be a very rich man lol) is disabled and has twitching legs (is this what you mean?) he has to eat bananas (sometimes by the bunch) & drink tonic water, something to do with the quinin (dont know how you spell it) content in them. Have you asked your G.P? or midwife?

[Modified by: chanine on March 09, 2007 06:54 PM]
  • Options
    Its not really a twitching of my legs its just they feel like you can't keep them still the sanctary spray has seemed to help thankfully its in the mum to be range & i had nearly a full nights sleep the other night after using it horray!!
  • Options
    I find that a hot water bottle on my calves helps a lot, it takes the sensation away so I can get to sleep. When I wake up in the night and it has cooled I have to get up and refill it so I can get back to sleep, but it does seem to work.
    I get Restless Legs when I'm not pregnant too, but not as badly. Then I find lying on my tummy helps, unfortunately now my bump is too big for that! Anyone in early pregnancy might find it works though.
    Hope that helps. (I'm going to try the Sanctuary spray too, it's worth a try. And I just read on this sight that nettle tea might help, has anyone tried that?)
  • Options
    Hello Restless Legs!!
    When i was pregnant, every night i would end up alot of the time, crying in agony from cramp in my legs. My friend recommended placing it on the cool edge of the bath but when asking a different midwife, she recommended calium lactate. You don't need to get it on prescription but i swear by it! It helped out alot. Hope this helps
    xx:\)
  • Options
    I am all for the Sanctuary Spray - its worked the past two nights on me - i am only in the early stages, so dread what it is like in full blown pregnancy bump and all - my heart goes out to you - it must to so horrible.
    Stick with the spray though i think its fab!!!
  • Options
    I heard that the banana thing was more for cramps rather than restless legs?? but hey if it works keep going!

I had & have restless legs too! I had them when I was pregnant with daniel and I have them again now with this pregnancy. oh the joys! .....not!!

It's weird that all of you say that warm things help, I found that anything cold helps! lol :\)

I use the magicool cooling spray (you know the srpay for when you're on the beach?), also a cold damp flannel, also I've found that if I raise my legs in bed with a pillow or two it helps.

Also I've realised that if I'm a bit dehydrated it gets worse too, which is strange don't know why it helps.

It does get better after the baby's born, I hoped I wouldn't get it again but I did... gggrrrr!!! image hope it goes again after this ones born!

xx
  • Options
    I find that tonic water helps me, and the warm bath and massage. If you find that they are driving you crazy at night and you're getting frustrated, try Rescue Remedy by Bach. Its made from plants and is fine to use in pregnancy. I find it takes the edge off and allows you to relax enough to sleep. Works for me anyway.