Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How old is old??

Replies

• I'm 37 (38 in feb) and my lo is now 13month. My Mum was 38 when she had me (my Dad was 50!), sadly she died of cancer at 40 (discover she had cancer while in hospital giving birth to me!).
    When I washaving antenatal classes I was sick of the midwives and nurses going on about my age.
    I see more and more woman nowadays to be having their children around the mid 30's, so don't think it is an issue.
  • good luck jaxs!
    when is the baby due?
  • How fab, i only just found this forum! Hi ladies!! Im 40 and have 5 children, 22yrs, 19yrs, 11yrs, 6yrs and 61/2 mths. I dont look 40 but feel it sometimes! lol. I would still like to have 1 more baby, i think ive still got it in me. lol. xx
  • i am 38 (39) in jan my kids are 20,19,17 in 5 days and 16 in dec and have just foud out am pregnant again after mc in january i also have a 3 year old grandaughter but dont feel old at all x
  • I am 39 with a 3 year old and and 18 month old. I am older than all the mums in my post natal group so I guess I am and older mum.
  • bah....age is just a number.
    I 38 and dont feel it. Some days I ache and moan like an old woman but really your 30's are your prime. I had first 2 when young and thought that was that. OH had testicular cancer while I pregnant with our 2nd. It was very stressful as we nearly lost him and to be pregnant and dealing with your Oh almost dying is no picnic. Luckily after 6 months of chemeo then a few major ops he was back to normal within 18 months. we were told he would be infertile but as we had one boy one girl we were just happy he was alive. 10 years later I disover I am pregnant. When he was 8 months I was again!!! (we still did not use any contraception as thought it was a fluke I got preg) youngest just gone 2 and I 22 weeks pregnant with 5th!!!!!!!!!
    I see my friends the same age and as their kids are older all they have is themselves. They go out drinking and to be honest they look older than me as I have healthier lifestyle. Just looking tired at moment and going through a greasy hair, spotty skin time!
    I just grateful I CAN get pregnant and would have another 4 if I thought I could but this 5th will complete our family and i look forward to them keeping me young!!!!!!!!!
    Good luck all those due in next few days

d xxxx
  • hi
    I am a first time mum at age 43. To give other "oldies" some hope I'll tell you that we spent only 3 or 4 months ttc.

It's a bit off putting at antenatal clinics and baby clinics that other mums look so young. But these days a lot of women have babies later in life. So don't feel that age is a barrier.
  • Hi
    I'm 35 - will be 36 when the baby comes in May and this is our 1st. Was kindly informed by dr (male) that I am an elderly primagravida (felt like applying for my bus pass - lol). Midwives are great though - very supportive. And fingers crossed all is going well.

I know I could have done this 10 or 15 years ago, so I guess I am an older mum. And yes being pregnant is taking it's toll a bit. But I have epilepsy and it was severly out of control when I was in my 20s so babies weren't an option. Anyway, that asides, we know we'll make a much better parents than we would've done 15, 10 or even 5 years ago so don't regret waiting. Still we'll have been together for 18 years when the baby comes - so I guess it'll come as a bit of shock to the system - wonderful and magical and we can't wait but it's gonna be a BIG change!!

We really want this baby (it's so hard to wait till May!!) so no I'm not going for an amnio. We wouldn't do anything about it anyway, so we don't want to risk the baby in any way.

We don't want this one to be an only child so I guess I'll just have to get used to the older mum thing. Def agree with kimyamga that kids keep you young.

My only regret about not having kids earlier is that my mum and my husband's dad both passed away in the last 3 years - sad they'll never get to see their grandkids...
  • Best of luck to all your pregnant Mums!
  • im 35 on sunday and i have 4 little angels aged 14, 12, 5 and 2 and am ttc no5. i dont consider myself as old ( though i do feel ancient sometimes lol) i did used to say i would not have any more babies once i was 35 and here i am eating my words xxx
  • keep checking for your BFP leigh!!! I am sure it will be soon as so many in TTC forum!!!!
    I will turn 39 not long after this one born. OH will turn 42!!!! We are still big daft kids though and think nothing of running around silly in parks or giggling with the kids (only prob with that is after 4 vaginal deliveries I sooooo need the tenna pad!!!lol)
    good luck leigh and hope number 5 due some time next year for you
    d xx
  • I'm 37, 38 in a few weeks. This is my first pregnancy (and identical twins, yikes!). I was really worried about fertility reducing as you get older, but I got pregnant after 4 months of trying so things worked out well for us. We only got married in April this year, so it's been a rollercoaster year.
    I don't feel old though (and get told I don't look it which is good:lolimage. I guess it's all a state of mind. As the saying goes, you're only as old as the man you feel (in my case 34!). ;\)
    Em
  • From one Em to another...I believe that ... My other half is 42 - and I feel at least that old at the mo if not more (i'm 37!!)

Good luck with the twins - when are they due?

Em x
  • Hi all sorry to but in i dont think its fair to be labelled an older mum due to age. I think you are only as old as you feel, I am 23 and I know I am young but feel really old and hubby normally calls me an old granny as I am normally achy or tired or moaning(god i sound lovely to live with). I know its only my opinion but age is just a number xxx
  • Hi
    I'm 40 and my baby is due on the 10th Jan, I also have 2 daughters 14yrs & 17yrs from my previous marriage, never thought I would have another child but we are all so happy and looking forward to having a little boy xx
  • i'm 29! oh, im i an old mum, my 1st baby due the day before my 30th!
    jules x x
  • Hi - I just turned 41 last month, so consider myself to be an older mum!
    I have to say I don't feel old, just think other people will class me as this!

I have two gorgeous daughters from my 1st marriage who are 16 and 19 1/2! I got married again 18 months ago and we decided we wanted to have our own little bundle.

Unfortunately I had two missed miscarriages last year and so it has been a tough and horrible year. I am now 23 +1 weeks and fingers crossed baby doing well - I am getting big already!
    The only downer is that I started getting SPD at 15 weeks and it is now very painful - this makes me feel old - I feel like I'm 101 the way I walk, sorry, hobble about.

I have been stubborn and trying to stay at work as much as possible but yesterday gave in and have stayed off for at least the rest of this week. I was feeling sick -due to the pain I think. Hopefully going back to see the physio although not sure what else they can do - am wearing support belt across hips/pelvis. Got hospital tomorrow to see consultant about my thyriod so will ask about SPD there and get his advice.
    I ended up a blubbering wreck at work yesterday - I feel like I'm giving in - but I know that I need to rest for the baby's sake - just don't fancy me being off from now!

Baby is kicking away though so that feels great - I love it when I get lots of movement, its comforting to know everything is still okay.

My daughters are so excited about being big sisters - although 1 wants a boy and 1 wants a girl - one of them will be disappointed!

Love to hear how you other older mums are doing?

love Jac
    xxx
  • Hi Jac - I felt very old during this pregnancy - I also had SPD earlier this time round (as well as other complications) - I learnt that I had to take it easier for my sake as well as los and it paid off... SPD actually got better - holding Bryn (nearly 4 wks old) in my arms now and it was all worth it! Take it easy x
  • oh god i am the older mum, im 6 weeks and expecting no3, my girls, are 10 and 8, this wasn't planned, after a third mc, in June, i decided not to put myself through it, but forgot to inform himself of my decision so here we go again, trying to be positive but the thought of mc is there, but what will be will be, good luck all,
  • Hi, please can I join the club?! I'm 38, will be 39 when baby arrives, am currently 21+1 with second child. I already have a 14 year old daughter from my first marriage, she's always wanted a little brother or sister (especially a sister), & her wish has come true, as we're having a girl!

I'm absolutely thrilled to be expecting, it took quite a long time & sometimes I thought we'd never get there, but we did! My husband is so excited, as this'll be his first child - he can hardly stay in his seat when we go for scans!

I don't really feel old, though I can't really remember my last pregnancy as it was so long ago!

Hope all you other "oldies" are keeping well!! Only joking!!