Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Just found out and terrified!

13»

Replies

• ginger tea is good. You can gt a box of 40 tea bags for about 99p in Aldi
  • Actually, I have been very tired today as I've been awake from 5:30 am due to the cold, so that may have something to do with it.

Might give the ginger tea a go - I drink loads of herbals anyway and I think I have some lemon and ginger lurking in the cupboard.  My normal peppermint suddenly just tastes completely wrong!

I think I will keep secret stashes of biscuits in my work laptop bag - that way I won't run short when I'm out and about.

LOL about eating lard - can't think of anything worse! x

• Ha ha ha - all I wanted was bread and eggs for about 2 months. I ate lots of omlettes and bread and butter or toast as well as carrying round ginger biscuits or poppy seed crackers in my bag at all times.

I tried not to eat anything really fatty (ie bag of lard) so I didn't have to worry about putting on twelve stone while pregnant although I think I actually lost weight when I was being sick all the time.

Being sick in public was the worst thing. I didn't look pregnant yet and you can just imagine people are thinking 'tsk - drunk at midday....'

• Thankfully, have managed to keep being sick in the house so far - but I can imagine the comments!  Oh dear, all these things to look forward to...

I've just been wanting lettuce sandwiches today, I think my cold has really affected my taste buds badly, all I want is fresh tasting things.  Might hit the blueberries in the fridge soon as I've run out of juice.

• At least you're craving stuff you can actually have. As soon as I was pregnant I immediately wanted pate, blue cheese, liver etc. All the stuff you're not meant to eat.

I've got over the sickness now but strong smells still set me off. If my housemate has been drinking I can smell it in a room he's walked through. I keep having to shove my other half into the shower with a broom handle if he's got smelly feet etc and other people's perfume....ugh.

• I want mayonnaise in my lettuce sandwich, so I haven't got away with it scot-free!  Currently wondering if the vegan version of mayo is any good - at least it might serve as a substitute for the next 8 months.

Was really thinking about work tomorrow but still coughing badly and deep-voiced - I probably shouldn't risk it but my sick-note ran out today.  Also I have loads to do and am really worried about getting behind.  However I don't want to prolong being ill by rushing back!  Might just have an early night and keep my fingers crossed that everthing ill-related vanishes overnight.

• tic tacs or boiled sweets are good for nausea and also the travel sickness wrist bands were all that worked 4 me!image
  • Not feeling too bad nausea-wise right now as I had proper dinner - might just go to bed while it's all good! image
  • Holly/Little grump,

So sorry to hear what you have been through. Wishing you all the best and sending cyber hugs. I have experienced a still birth and mc, but cannot imagine what you have been through.
    Take care, god bless.
    Pauline x
  • hi guys,

i was told ginger worked well in pg with Ben and bought stem ginger and made ginger tea, which actually made me feel really horrible! now i can't go near ginger without feeling ill!

so sorry to hear your sad story Holly, hope this little bean comes out soon for you.. as pauline said, i can't imagine what you must have been through, am sure you would make a lovely midwife. my husband lost his first son at 18months in a car crash and he still doesn't talk about it much, i don't think you ever get over something like that, but he said having Ben has helped a lot.

i am craving shellfish and brie and stilton tonight.. and can't stop eating junk! my poor husband is doing weightwatchers and being fantastic about it, and meanwhile i'm munching doughnuts and eating mcdonalds cheeseburgers!

hope you feel better soon Cat, if you're not ready to go back to work get an extension on your sick note.. did you know you can self-certificate for 7 days anyway, so only need a doctors note after this is up? your fridge sounds a lot better than ours!

• Thanks Pauline xxxx.

It's nice to talk about it without upsetting my other half or my mum, both of whom can be very unthinking sometimes because they're going through their own things. In a lot of ways I've got it easier coz I've got being pregnant to focus on!

I'm pretty worried about how I'll react to actually having the baby....what if she looks like my son, what if she doesn't look like him etc etc. I know I'm gonna compare them and then feel bad about doing it.

• Hi Holly

I think that is the really lovely thing about this site - you can talk to all sorts of people who will listen, but 'cos we're all that one step removed it's a bit easier to say things than to friends and family.

I think it's lovely that you are having a little girl this time; not to be funny but there will be so many fewer points of comparison, you will be able to enjoy her without feeling guilty I imagine.  Oh dear I've put that very clumsily but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Anyway, take care and let us know how you're getting on xxx

• Don't know if this works for everyone but I get through loads of extra strong mints.Ikeep them in my bag,cos there's nothing worse than being in a queue or for me the school playground and having nowhere to run when you feel sick.I know they rot your teeth but they do the trick for me.Also find it's worse if I have a ltae night the night before,and it's important never to get hungry.Evenif you don't feel like eating something dry like gingernuts or digestives is enough to keep the nausea away.Can't eat cereal first thing any more.Has to be marmite toast.I get more trouble from 12 weeks to about 18 weeks.I've got mad curry cravings.I keep smelling it wherever I go I smell curry,and then I want it,actually I NEED it!
    Hope you're feeling better soon.It's a pig being ill when you can't just dose up on lemsips and stuff.Take care.
  • I love salads with loads of beetroot at the mo with some lovely hot red meat.
  • That's almost the worst thing - I can't take anything, even a hot whisky toddy to go to bed with.  My dad arrived last week with some stuff for me and he'd bought me some ginger wine and whisky so I could have that to sooth my throat - had to make up a reason for not having a drink of it immediately!

Actually feeling a bit better today although I still sound like Mariella Frostrup and cough if I do anything remotely energetic.  Had a good night sleep for once so I think that may have helped.

My fridge and larder are very depleted now as I haven't had the energy to go shopping - I'm eating the occasional cashew nut to keep the queasiness down.  Marmite toast is sounding good though... mmmmm.....

• well they do think that morning sickness is related to tireness. If you can just go have lie down but the most nnoying thing about morning sickness is that you pretty much just have to ride it out. I avoid the sun when its strong or low in the sky if I can coz that seems to set me off. Dont know why maybe its the squinting.
  • Ifelt really bad one day last week so Iran up to the bathroom expecting to be sick.Instead I just sat in the dark for a few minutes and it went away completely.Even managed breakfast..Ihave a vile cravings for tinned plum tomatoes,cold.Also for cheese sandwiches with burger cheese in, the sort of plastic stuff.They have to have 3 slices of burger cheese,2 wafer thin ham,and then they have to go under the grill not the sandwich toaster.Oh and they have to be cut in triangles.Wheres the nutrition in that lot?Poor baby.I supposed it'll have it's revenge and give me a good kicking for that in a few weeks.