Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bambino mio real nappies

2»

Replies

• you guys are scaring me now..
  • haha cat i am seeing nappies in my sleep!
  • Hi,   I used real nappies on my son and loved them.  I have approx 25 Motherease nappies, additional liners for night time and wraps from small to large.  I used them from when Chris was about 3 months until he was 2.

As they are shaped etc, no pins just as easy to put on as a disposable.  We used liners so when we changed him, the liner and wipes went into a nappy sack and in the bin, the nappy we placed in a nappy bin and did a wash every three days.  We found that we did not need to presoak as there was very little staining with using a throw away liner.

Feel free to contact me if you want to chat to someone who has used these nappies.  I am also selling all my nappies etc. 

Claire

• Hi Ems

(don't read this Lucy, you will get even more scared of my nappy-obsession!)

I put a wanted on my local freecycle saying I wanted to see what all the different types are like, and within 1 day I've had 2 mums from my village (never have met them, so that's good for me to find other mums) offer me samples of the ones they are using, plus (even better I think) one of them has invited me round to run through all the ones she tried, which ones are best etc. etc.

I know you're a bit remote, but maybe it might be worth a try for you too?  At the very least you might get samples of different ones to have a look at so you can choose.

Oh, and if you really like the bambino mio ones, someone has offered me a full set (used, but in good nick apparently) from birth to toddler for £35.  If you trust me to look them over for you and you want to save a few quid, I'd happily get them and arrange to get them sent up to you?

• Try the Nappy Lady      www.thenappylady.co.uk

You can complete a questionnaire about what you need from a reusuable, eg something that dries quickly, is slimmer, 1 or 2 piece etc, and they find the best nappy for you based on your answers and ring you back to discuss your options. It's completely free and impartial!

They sell all kinds of washables and have no bias towards any of them. I found them very helpful although I had already decided that I wanted Tots bots.

• hi cat,

i have an appointment with the midwife on wednesday so i am going to ask her for a few names of mums who have used real nappies to see what they thought and i know the hospital has some real nappies on show so hopfully will see them when i go to antenatel at the start of feb.

oh thats a great way to meet some local mums, thank you very much for offering to look over the nappies and for passing on the bargin i think i will get new nappies as im feeling a bit bad that baby no 2 is going to be getting a lot of hand me downs as i am not working at the moment.

ems

• I have my 16 week appt on Wed!  I have so many things to ask....

It was great going through used nappies, to see how they wear and what they get on with.  Going to see the other mum next Monday too, they're just being so helpful!

Dead chuffed with the whole freecycle experience so far.  Hope you get some good ideas on Wed x

• was wondering if the ones who used reusable nappies did you also use cotton breast pads?
  • I didn't ask the question tbh.  I was considering though, I have fairly sensitive skin and was wondering if the silk breast pads would be better.

More expensive obviously!!

How did you get on at the mw today?

• good yea nice strong heartbeat after "she" kicked the monitor a couple of times im measuring 2cm bigger but she said thats okay but i big baby is fine by me

i didnt ask about nappies as the antenatal classes are starting in a few weeks so I'll pick her brains then

did you have your app today? 16wk already its flying by!

xx

• Yes I did and being the emotional sort just burst into tears when I heard the heartbeat galloping away - the mw then earned my complete trust by having a sniffle herself!

I know what you mean - I keep thinking to myself I have done nothing in the last 16 weeks, and there's just so much to do!

I think that it's nice to know the baby is objecting to being poked around, reassuring that they are healthy and active.  Glad it all went well for you too x

• wow cat! only 4weeks and your halfway there!! so exciting!

glad you have found some friendly helpfull mums!image

• It is going to make life easier, but I have to say the mums on here have been the best!

Can't believe it's nearly halfway point - it's going so quickly!

• only feels like yesterday i was 20weeks with jack, time flys soo quickly when you have a crazy child running about!!

Me and andrew were thinking about booking a holiday for 2010 because lolas going to just have started weaning this year and i realised jack would be 3!! made me all emotional!

• thats good advice ladies. I am going to get myself some. But I might try that link first. thank ewe
  • Hi Cat, How are you?

Was just wondering if you had met up with the local mums to discuss the nappies?

xx

• Hi Ems

Just got back from meeting the second mum now!

The first mum used pocket nappies and was a big fan of them.  I have to say it was more impressive seeing them in the flesh rather than on-line - there's a lot of scope to add in pads for night-time use etc.

Mum number 2 was a big fan of motherease nappies as they dry really quickly, and you add in the extra pads as required.  She really likes the tots bots, and says if you have room to dry them when the weather's bad they're great, but the only down side is they can take longer to dry.

Both highly recommend using a fleece liner under the paper one to wick away moisture.

And both say that you get less poo exploding up the back with reusables - reason enough I think!

So I have samples of all sorts now to play with - hurrah!

How's your research going?

Cat

x