Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

hi im new

hi to every one on here. ive been looking for a baby forum for months now and i think this is the best to come to. ive got so many questions and was hoping for some advice for anyone who can give it.

i am 18 weeks on monday and this is my first baby. i got married august 2008 and one month later i found out i was pregnant so its been quick.

any one who is having a baby who is due in july, i would like to hear from you on how your pregnancy is going. thanks for looking.

Replies

• Options

Hello Mel

My name is Cat, and I was 18 weeks pregnant on Friday last week, so my baby is due 2nd July or therabouts.  It's my first too, so I think we'll have lots of the same questions!

Do you have your 20 week scan date yet?  I am really looking forward to it, mine's on the 12th Feb, but most of all I am now looking forward to feeling the baby move (all the experienced mums say that it gets too much after a while and you just want them to stay still for 5 minutes, but I am still a newbie so excited!).

All is going well touch wood, lots of things to learn and do before July!

Hope to chat soon

Cat x

• Options

hi cat, ive got my date for my scan. its also 12th feb at 3.30pm. this will be my third scan as i have had not a great start to my pregnancy. i had to pay for my second scan to make sure the baby was ok.

ive been through so much in 18 weeks i could write a book. lol . i have been feeling the baby more and more every day and when i sleep the little one moves slowly for now. i really cant wait to feel kicks and im looking forward to the birth of our baby.

are you going to ask the sex of the baby? . i did because they could tell me at 17 weeks but the lady said it will be confirmed at 20 weeks or so.

thanks for replying. chat soon from melissa

• Options

Sorry you haven't had a great start to the pregnancy, hope it's all a bit more plain sailing from now on.  V envious you've already felt your baby move, I think mine might be like me and enjoy relaxing and snoozing image

No, I really don't want to know the sex, there are few enough surprises in life!  Hoping it won't be obvious on the scan.  We've got a weekend away just after so it will be nice to have some time together on our own - maybe the last time!

• Options

well no one said babys were easy, but i didnt think they meant from week 1.lol

ive been in hospital twice, and im just getting better slowly. i got what they call hyperemesis gravidarum. literally, "excessive vomiting in pregnancy.

i found out we are having a little girl, but she's not so little. the last scan i had said the baby was 20cm long. have you bought any thing yet for the baby. i cant stop !!

• Options
    cat i didnt realise id been feeling jack move until 21 weeks then realised id felt it loads of times before
  • Options

Hi mel,

Im new too I first felt the twins move at about 20 weeks but just felt like fluttering in my stomach at first didnt realise it was babies so maybe they were moving before and  just hadnt noticed.

karen

• Options

hi all

we are expecting our 2nd baby on 2nd July ..

we got married 19th july 2008 and concieved quicker than we expected ...we have a 4 n half yr old girl maisy.. my 20 week scan is on 16th of feb and we want to find out this time what the sex is ...  due to the fact Maisy WANTS A LITTLE SISTER !!!!! as she keeps telling us ..lol

been feeling 'bubbles' moving for a few weeks and also Maisy likes to listern to the baby moving ... sounds like 'bubbles'

good luck keep in touch

rachxxx

• Options

hi to karen and rachel.

i cant believe people are so close to me in their pregnancy. i couldnt wait to find out the sex of our baby. my husband wanted a boy as mum do, but as soon as he found out we was having a girl he was so happy and cant stop talking about what they are going to do in years to come. lol

for my next scan on the 12th feb im paying for a dvd of the whole scan. it costs £25 but i cant stop wanting to see the baby moving around. i feel also of things but i want to see little one move as well.

ive got a heat beat monitor for the baby, as i had a bad start so i wanted to check weekly on the baby. its great!  cant wait to start buying baby clothes. lol

melissa

• Options

Mel, I have a friend at work who had the excessive vomiting she was hospitalised a few times but, you will be very pleased to know, she gave birth to a fit and healthy not-so-little girl who was as good as gold from day 1.

And, despite the fact she was so ill and looked so awful we referred to her as "the contraceptive" (i.e. none of the rest of us were tempted into having babies!) and also that she said "never again" all the way through - her little girl is now nearly 2 and she is starting to think about a baby brother or sister for her... so you will get over how awful it is, and believe me I know it's horrendous!

I was very tempted to get one of the heart beat monitors too, but am trying to do everything for either nothing or as near to nothing as possible.  Need to keep a very strong grip of the finances right now, so freecycle is my friend!  I have a few reusable nappies and some bibs plus the promise of moses baskets, playpens and all sorts from friends whose kids have outgrown them.

• Options

Laura - everyone says that, but I am just impatient to know I'm feeling the baby and not just wind (tmi!)!!

You know me, I am a bit of a worrier and the sooner I can tell it's all ok without having a scan or hearing the heart beat at the mw, the better image

• Options

hi, lol ive just had dinner and the baby is moving like mad. i think she like what i had.

the heat beat monitor was the best thing i bought. i can check on the baby anytime i like, just to put my mind at rest. you can hear the heat from 12 weeks so thats when i got mine. every time we go to find the heart beat, it hides for a few seconds and then theres life. its amazing.

i have started to think about the sickness as a sign of the baby telling me shes ok and doing well. other wise i just get upset.  trust me i would not like to have anyone go through what i went through. i was worried when i lost 1 stone 5 lbs in 8 weeks. that we not good.

i dont think there is anything else i need to buy for the baby. nappies and wipes etc will be bought on a weekly plan, as i normal buy in bulk.

any ideas on baby clothes sizes. people want to buy things and ive said dont buy 0-3 months as i dont know how big baby will be.

• Options

My baby won't let me eat curry as I end up with awful pains and upsets, but for some reason chilli is fine!  No idea why...

Again, my friend at work lost around 2 1/2 stone at her worst, and only got back up to pre-conception weight 3 weeks before she gave birth.  Also, I have only just got back to my pre-conception weight, I lost 7 lbs initially quite quickly, this seems to be "normal" as far as anything is!

How much was the monitor if that's not a cheeky question?  My OH misses out on all the mw appts as he works away, so I would really like him to hear at some point.  Might make an exception to the spending rule if it's not too expensive!

I would actually avoid people buying clothes at this stage tbh.  A bit nearer the time and you should have more of an idea if it will be average size or bigger or whatever.  Also if people want to buy clothes before get them to keep the receipts so they can swap for a bigger size if needed - I certainly wouldn't mind doing that.

• Options

hi, the heart beat monitor cost £56 but you can get them cheaper. i got mine on ebay and its brilliant. You do have to check the weeks that you can hear the heat beat and different ones can detect it at different weeks.

i think your right about the baby clothes. ive got a few things to start me off with and my sister two years ago had a baby girl and she has lots of baby clothes. its a good job im having a girl as shes 23 weeks pregnant with her third child and its another boy. lol.

i keep getting a few back pains, but nothing like other people i know are getting. do you know what scan is next after the 20 week scan? i think it could be 28 weeks but im not really sure.  

• Options
    Oh l carnt believe how many babys are due July!!! Im the proud mum of 7 children. But my first grandchild is due july 15th, (my wedding annie!!!). Wish u all a safe n happy time. Godbless. xxxx
  • Options

Ooh, I might not go for that then - can't hide £50 in the budget!

I'm being told off this evening for having bought a monster bar of cadbury's fruit and nut even, but that's well worth the grief mmmm.....

I don't know if there are any more standard scans, I think if they are concerned about you (which they may well be with your sickness) they fit a few more in, I know there's often one at 36 weeks to check everything is the right way round.  Your mw would be able to tell you.

Really handy with the baby clothes!  They get worn for such a short time they'll all be nearly new anyway.

• Options
    We have another scan for 28 weeks,then again 4 weeks later.Think it's just fussing,but I'm not complaining.Love seeing what's going on in there.
    I still don't get big movements,Cat.You probably feel something,but at first it is a bit like wind.A few weeks more your little one'll be moving about just as you're going to sleep.I quite like that,just lets you know all's well.
    We have a loft full of baby clothes,boys and girls but I have already bought a couple of outfits,even though I should know better,they'll only fit a few weeks
  • Options

Hi Mel

Welcome to pp.

Im Emma mum to riley 4 yrs.

Hope to chat soon.

• Options

welcome to pp mel, sorry i didnt say that in my earlier post! wishing you lots of luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

cat our midwifes here lend the dopplers out for anxious mums and sometimes if you ask nicely i did when andrew kept missing out just for a week but he loved it. also summer do one for around £20 i think mothercare and toysrus do it!

• Options

hi to every who said hi today.

im in shock that so many people talk about the same things as i do with my husband. but its good to have another mum to be's advice. i cant wait to feel the baby kick for the first time. its moving like mad, with i feel parts of but not any kicking yet. (unless i dont think so).

ive been keeping my self busy as ive been signed off work until im on holiday. ive started to make a scrapbook, which has all my baby notes from week one until now, at 18 weeks. i put like poems and things like a copy of my scan pictures in it. its going good.

any one else done a scrapbook and has got any ideas, i would be greatful for the help.

• Options

Hi Mel

I ha a week by week guide book which was a baby diary(day to day) i wrote all my feelings,general and baby ones if i thought it was baby.I also wrote all my appts in it and what the heart beat rate was,its just nice to remember.I also had a copy of my scan pics in it.

Also the silly things like if you had your hair done or managed to shave your legs,Might seem much but i wrote in it every night about the day i had,then i could check it out if i was worried at all and its great for remembering things you want to ask your Dr or midwife and dont want to forget.

Best of luck.