Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

help with sickness :(

I know this has probably been done before but I am in need of some help or words of wisdom if you have any that might help.

I am 7 +2 with baby no 3, and am currently suffering from crippling 24 hour a day morning sickness. I only had it mild with ds1 and ds2 and used the sickness bands to hold it at bay. However it has been getting progressivley worse sinse I was 5 1/2 weeks to the point that since Saturday I have been unable to do anything or eat or drink anything without being sick. I have not kept food down or water down at all since Sunday and just the motion of moving from place to place makes me sick. :cry:

I had to phone my parents today to get them to look after ds1 for the day asI couldnt cope with him. I had to keep ds2 as he is only just 1 and I am still bf him - another thing draining my reserves of energy. I am running out of ideas and energy fast has anyone got any ideas to help make me feel even just a little better.

Things I have tried:

1. sickness bands - no affect this time.

2. eating a dry biscuit before getting up in the morning (threw it straight up before finishing the biscuit)

3. I can't stand peppermint tea or any tea for that matter, I don't drink any thing hot or anything that is made with a bag (the thoguht makes me sick)

4. Ginger biscuits - though I hate them I sunk to the point of trying them but they still made me sick.

The only thing that stops me from being physically sick is laying completely still and not moving (I am laying next to laptop at the moment!!!)

I now it usually passes after 12 weeks but I really don't want to ruin my sons xmas by having to lay down instead of watcing them open pressies etc.

Any help would be wonderful

thanks

Replies

• Hi im 38+3 weeks with my 2nd and i suffer with hypremisis (severe morning sickness) it started at 6 weeks and lasted till about 24 weeks i couldnt get out of bed either and couldnt even sip water, i tried all the things you tried and i even tried acupuncture but nothing worked. However the dehydration makes you feel alot worse so take a water sample to your doctors and have them check it for protein as i had to go in hospital for a few hours each day on an drip this doesnt completely take the sickness away but does give you some energy, i didnt go every day just at my worst. The best thing to do is get out the house and get fresh air i know you dont feel like moving or getting dressed but it really does help. Hope that helps x
  • Hi,

I am 26+6 with my first and I was diagnosed with suffering from hyperemesis, sickness started at 3 weeks and lasted up until around 18 weeks. It got so bad that after having not eaten or kept anything down for a week I was hospitalised and had a drip and anti-sickness drugs pumping through me for 3 days. Worst experience of my life as the nausea was 24 hrs non stop. I also had labrynthitis which is where you have had a viral inner ear infection which severly affects your balance and it just feels like the room is spinning, I literally crawled to the toilet on my hands and knees and my days were spent crawling from my bed to the sofa and back again, I was literally crippled with sickness is the only way I can describe it.

I was on cyclizine tablets for most of that time but off them now and the sickness literally stopped all of a sudden v odd. Have had the odd time where I have been ill but nothing like how it was ie being sick around 15-20 times a day.

Get to your doc and see if they can give something for the sickness and they should also test your urine for ketones.

Goodluck and hope you feel better very soon!

http://lmtf.lilypie.com/mBuJ.png

• Oh my lovely if I could give you the cure for morning sickness I'd be a very rich woman!

I found drinking ice cold sips of water or sucking ice lollies helped keep my hydrated. Food wise, well I just ate whatever I could. 9 times out of 10 it came back up but at least I was getting some nutrition to baby. I also ended up on a drip in hospital.

I would call your doctor to see if anti sickness tablets help, especially with lo's to look after. I used to get a break 2 days a week as I was signed off work & lo went to nursey still those days.

Oh & sleep as much as poss, tiredness makes sickness worse.

Mine finally finished around 17+5 so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Vicky

19+2
  • Thanks for your replies. Have not been able to get on line in a long time. Am still feeling awful and have just been sipping on water. I also have been trying to sip on cranberry juice as I am prone to uti's in pregnancy and don't fancy that as well. I didn't get any xmas dinner and had to pretend I had a bug as my parents don't know yet. I have found that I can stop myself from being sick by chewing peppermint chewing gum all thorugh the day but I still feel amazingly awful without being sick.

Spoke to midwife yesterday at my booking in app. Her response was - "did I have it like this with my sons" (No) her reply to my no was " well then it could be either a girl or twins good luck!" Not the most helpful of replies.

I am dreading going back to work next week but hope it will get a bit better by then.

Have thoguht about asking dr but I know they are not very helpful so will wait for a bit.

Again thank you for all of your loveley replies and suggestions.
  • Hi hun

I am sorry to hear that the sickness got you so badly. Make sure that if you don't drink enough you go to the docs to get the urine test strip done every couple of days, my GP made me do that just in case to check that I wasn't too dehydrated.

Your midwife's comments are not very helpful. She should have told you to monitor the dehydration.

Have you tried carbonated drinks? I never drink any normally but can't have anything non carbonated now...I am terribly bloated but a lot less sick

xx
  • I haven't been to drs yet cos of xmas and new year. Will go Tuesday if it doesn't let up. I am trying not to go too soon asI know drs will just comment on it being a side affect of pregnancy.

I have tried carbonated drinks - lucozade is easiest as long as I sip it. Also provides with a bit extra. Struggling with energy as I a still bf as well!!

Thank you for your suggestion