Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Nuchal Test Confusion

Hi Ladies,

Hope you are all well. I just wondered if you cold help me as I am a little confused. At my first appointment with the midwife she explained all about the various tests for birth defects, including the Nuchal test. We decided that we didnt want any tests for various reasons, and as I am only 28 and in good health the midwife didnt push it and agreed our chances of there being a problem was minimal.

Anyway, I have just had my appointment through for our 12 week scan and it included all of this information about the Nuchal scan. After the appointment with the midwife I thought the Nuchal scan was a seperate thing, but now after reading the bumf Im under the impression that it happens at the same time as the 12 week scan. Does anyone know? And who do I tell now that I dont want it? Its really important to me that I dont have it. I completely understand why others do but its just not for me. Can anyone help? xxx

Replies

• Options
    My midwife booked me for the nuchal screening scan (I am only 25 and in reasonably good health) as she said that this would allow the longest scan time possible so if I want the nuchal scan they will have time.

They scan round the back of the neck in the nuchal fold to see how much fluid there is. She then said that they would take a blood test to complete the nuchal testing.

My midwife said that if I decide not to go ahead with the nuchal screening all I need to do is to tell the technician when I go for the scan and then they will just do a standard dating scan.

Hope that helps x
  • Options
    Thanks that does help xx
  • Options
    Yes just tell the technician that you don't want the nuchal scan done when you first go into the room and they should honour that request.