Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sugar in Urine - Gestational Diabetes?

I have just returned from my 36 week appointment, and for the first time they found sugar in my urine.

They immediately sent me for a blood test and also did a finger prick test. I have to wait 2 days for the blood test result, but the finger prick results were (I believe) perfectly normal (5.2).

I'm now really worried that I may have GD and end up having a giant baby! My only thoughts are is it strange that up until now my urine has been 100% normal, and the only time it goes high is after Christmas where I know I ate a lot more sugar than usual...could this be the explanation?

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Replies

• My reply just vanished! Will try again...

It could be a valid explanation. I had super high glucose levels in my urine for the two weeks up to Christmas whereas they had been fine before. Had to go into hospital to have the GTT test where you drink a sugary drink and the results came back fine and my last sample of urine was back to normal too.

Hope your results come back clear too and you don't have as much trouble as I did trying to chase the results!
  • I have GD and have been on insulin since 26wks...I've never had sugar in my urine so IMO sugar may not always indicate GD. 5.2 is really good - I'm on insulin 3x a day and even with that my levels are 9+ anything under 7.5 is 'normal' try not to panic xxx