Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Silly question about car seats!

Okay - this may sound really silly but it's something that's been bothering me. I've read lots of times that not every car seat fits every car and that it's important to check that the seat you want will fit safely in your car. I've also read that places like mothercare will help you check the seat in your car before you buy. However, what do you do if you need the car seat to fit in 2 cars? The seat will be in my car for a lot of the time but whenever we go on long journeys we take OH's car so it needs to fit in there too. Now I'm sure this must be the case for loads of people but how did you get around the fitting?! Did you take both cars to the shops to check the seat before you bought or is that not what happens and the store will think I'm crazy?! For the record, we don't have Isofix so will be fitting with the seatbelt, my car is a Ford Focus Estate and OH's is a Vauxhall Astra-ish thing (oops don't take much notice of his car!) The seat we're looking at is the Maxi-Cosi infant seat as my friend is giving me her Quinny Buzz pram and that will fit on the chassis.

Please help!

Replies

• I think just take both cars in, we have the same problem becasue hubby and I are motor traders we drive around in cars owned by the company and even if i try to keep them i don't want to turn a deal down, and sometimes hubby and i share a car and sometimes we have one each. I'm running both a bmw 525 and an audi A4 at the mo and thinkn i'll just have to make sure i've always got an audi around but its not quite as easy as that.

Emma.xx
  • Thank you both for your replies. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one thinking about taking both cars in! Halfords sounds like a great idea. I'd forgotton they do car seats as well but now I remember hearing good things about the fitting service they offer. Thank you!
  • hi hun,

we hadnt even thought about the fit until we went to mothercare to buy our pram and she offered to fit a few car seats in our new car, its an Audi a6 Lemans sports edition, well thank god she did as the pram we wanted fitted the maxi cosi car seat, she tried 2 different maxi cosi seats and a rubber neat seat and an isofix base and none of them fitted. they look for 60% contact with the base of seat and the actual seat in the car and it was shocking what would happen in a collision if we had just bought the maxi cosi without fitting, the seat pitched forward and slid sideways eek.. due to this we had to change the pram we wanted so she tried the silvercross which was much better. we went for the silvercross surf in the end with the ventura s car seat.

its definitely worth taking both cars for fitting before buying.

xx
  • babies r us have a computer system that tells them what carseat fits what car. in fact ive seen the ame thing on lie, but not sure where. try google.

i have bmw 1 series and was given a courtesy car in the sport version and the car seat didnt fit! major issue as i had my dd with me at the garage. it had bucket seats you see.
  • Thanks for your replies. Will definitely take both cars to get fitted. We were also after the Maxi-Cosi as it fits the pram my friend is giving us for free (bless her!) but if it doesn't fit our cars then we will have to think again. The safety of bubs is the most important thing.

Thanks for the heads-up about the online system Renee. I've found one which Maxi-Cosi do which has said both our cars should be fine. Will definitely get them checked though having read all this.