Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Question from Mr Z

Hi ladies, my hubby wants to put a quick question out there, so I'm handing over the reigns.....

Ooooh....the power! image

You ladies have been great support to both of us over the last year, I just wanted some advice for my situation and as the Dad's Chat on here is v quiet, I thought I would ask on here, hope that's ok.

My mother suffered 2 ectopic pregnancies which prevented her from having children, so I was adopted. She has been understanding about our two losses this year, but now that we have successfully reached the 2nd trimester, she is not only uninterested, but refuses to hear about any of our progress.

My father is very supportive and enjoyed looking at our scan pic over Xmas (my mother didn't see it), but my mother questioned Zoe about the possibility of twins(!) and was very surprised when Zoe said the scan showed just one baby....she didn't even know we had had a scan (we've had a few and told her each time!). It's almost like she is in denial.

It's a shame that the greatest thing that has ever happened in my life can't be shared with my own mother.

Any ideas??

Mr Z

Replies

• Options
    My only advice is that mums are often strange creatures...! Even my mum goes up and down - I've taken to just updating her when I speak to her, whether she asks or not, and she's a retired midwife!

In your case, your mum is probably sad that she never got to experience the happy side of pregnancy, and therefore finds it hard to get even remotely excited. And she may even be jealous of your excitement/happiness, which probably makes her feel bad, so she's covering up by being a bit brusque with you.

I would just update her matter-of-factly when you see her, and always ask her if she interested in seeing the scan pictures etc first, rather than assuming that she'll want to see them. As the pregnancy progresses, chances are that she'll get more involved, but if she doesn't, you may have to accept that it's her loss - don't let your mum tarnish any of your excitement!

If she's anything like my mum, she'll come round in her own time, and not a second sooner!

Best wishes!