Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

TENS Machine use during pregnancy NOT LABOUR!!!

Hi

Can anyone tell me if they used a TENS machine before their labour as a means of alleviating any back pain and hip pain in the later stages of their pregnancy?

I have spoken to numerous people and my midwife AND doctor and the advice is so conflicting but I am yet to speak to someone who has actually used the machine before labour.

If any of you can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks

S image

Replies

• I havent, as far as im aware it is not advised as could stimulate contractions. Could be wrong though.
  • I would go to Boots and get their advice.. I know you can use it after week 26 of pregnancy but not before. When I went in to enquire about TENS she asked if I was using it in pregnancy or just for Labour. Im just using it for Labour so never asked her anymore but im sure they would be able to help you.

xx
  • I would go to Boots and get their advice.. I know you can use it after week 26 of pregnancy but not before. When I went in to enquire about TENS she asked if I was using it in pregnancy or just for Labour. Im just using it for Labour so never asked her anymore but im sure they would be able to help you.

xx
  • I've been using mine since about week 29 for PGP pain.

It eases things a bit whilst it is on, but as soon as I take it off the pain returns withing 5 minutes or so.

It is more of a welcome distraction than anything xxx
  • I'm sure my friend was told she could use it for back pain, but not before 37 weeks. She'd strained her back so asked her doc and phoned mama Tens and that was what she was told. They do say not to use before 26 weeks at any time and its meant to be for labour only after that.
  • Just an FYI for you all, went for my 34 week ante-natal and asked the midwife there (after getting nowhere with my community midwife or my GP) and luck would have it one of the resident physio's was on site at the time - off popped the midwife to return 1 minute later saying that yes I can use the tens machine on my lower back.

Obviously common sense applies ladies - don't use on stomach (like you'd want to???) but its fine for lower back pain.

• Hi Ladies, 

Just to update this thread, my midwife did a doctorate on the use of TENS which can be downloaded here http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/210925/

The main points are:

The aim of this study therefore was to explore and gain a greater understanding of women’s experiences of using TENS for pain control in labour

TENS has been found to be as effective as Entonox (gas & air)

TENS is more effective if applied early in labour, and usually takes approximately forty minutes to begin to take effect

Literature suggests that TENS is only useful for early labour, many participants used TENS all the way through their labours

Some participants advocated that it was good to try TENS, become confident and familiar with how it works and feels, and prepares them for the sensation prior to labour. In contrast some participants were worried about trying TENS and thought that the sensation of it might put them off when they were not in pain and therefore affect the use of it in labour

When the midwife encouraged practicing and trying TENS before labour, particularly to build up the endorphins before labour it was much more widely done.  It has been suggested that TENS is more effective if applied as early as possible in labour

TENS was described as something that you need to get used to, practise with and find the right settings for each individual. The TENS was described as needing to feel comfortable

I have been told to start using the TENS every day from 37 weeks to encourage endorphins and to prevent going overdue, and also to get used to the machine so it is more effective in labour.  It would seem from 37 weeks, yes you can start using the TENS on your back, it's not just for labour, but best to always check with your midwife in case there is a medical reason you shouldn't.