Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Restless legs and poor sleep

Is anyone else struggling to sleep? I'm now 29 weeks + 4 and can't seem to get comfortable or stop shuffling round at night! My legs are really twitchy and "restless" some of the time. I've been tested for anaemia and it's come back OK, the midwife says try warm baths, camomile tea (yuck) etc but really there's not much I can do. I start mat leave on 28th February and it just seems a long way off at the moment as I drift into work in a haze every day after another night up. Still, maybe it's good to get back into broken nights ready for bubs being here! On a better note I had a day off today and went shopping for cute baby things with my mum, got a gorgeous blue fleece blanket and crib bedding set. I think R + R when I can is probably best but it is so annoying lying there at 3am when you know you have to be up at 7!

Replies

• i had all this in my first trimester. hot chocolate/horlicks or a warm milky drink.. i swore by it! i even remember getting up at 4am and sent myself back of to sleep with a cuppa!
  • Hi

My daughter is 1 now but when I was pregnant I had terrible restless legs, it used to drive me mad so I understand how you feel! I found that if I kept my legs high up for about an hour before bed that helped me, I'd lay on the sofa and try as best as I could (with a bump!) to get my legs at least on the arms on the sofa but up to the back of the sofa if I could. My midwife told me its because you have extra blood when you're pregnant and gravity causes it to go in your legs giving you restless legs.

Hope that helps. I still had it for a while after my daughter was born but its gone now and it wasn't as bad once she was born.

Good luck

• my DD is 6 months but your post just brought it back to me with the bloody awful restless legs, mine used to just twitch about of their own accord after about 7pm at night, lol! I used to have a really warm hot shower, and try to get to sleep as quickly as poss afterwards but if I woke up then with wee one booting me, I had to start all over it. I found that walking round the bed a few times helped a bit. Dreading if it comes back again if I have a second, I really feel for you!
  • ME !!!

Funnily enough I think I posted a similar thread last week. I'm 23+2 and have had them from day one. I even get restless arms too !

Cant remember the last time I got more than 4 hours sleep ! I read somewhere that eating bananas, not watching tv in the hour up to bedtime and not going to bed before you are drop dead tired should help but I cant say any have had an effect for me.

Think I may just have to deal with it until the end, shame my toddler doesnt understand the meaning of a lie in as i'd kill for one of them !!! :lol:
  • ME !!!

Funnily enough I think I posted a similar thread last week. I'm 23+2 and have had them from day one. I even get restless arms too !

Cant remember the last time I got more than 4 hours sleep ! I read somewhere that eating bananas, not watching tv in the hour up to bedtime and not going to bed before you are drop dead tired should help but I cant say any have had an effect for me.

Think I may just have to deal with it until the end, shame my toddler doesnt understand the meaning of a lie in as i'd kill for one of them !!! :lol:
  • Aw I suffered to. I wasnt sleeping until 4 then having to get up at 5.30 was a nightmare.

I found a warm bath an hour before bed with lavendar bubble bath, then a cup of horlicks and a few drops of lavendar oil on the matteress helps you nod right off.

I was so relieved to have finally slept after 2 weeks.

Good luck ladies x