Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Turning a back to back baby

(also in baby)

Hi all,

After weeks of thinking our lo was in the right position, and being told he was 2/5 engaged, we found out last night he is both back to back and floating free at the brim! Bit of a shock, and severely disappointed as we've also been told that I'm very unlikely to go into spontaneous labour.

As such, I'm booked for induction next Monday at 42 weeks, but have been advised to try and turn him before hand to give myself a chance to still have a waterbirth.

I've looked at spinning babies and picked up some tips there, but I'm hoping there are some among you that have successfully 'spun' your baby at such a late stage and can advise me on what actually works?

Have a birth ball which I've been on for weeks (but

Clearly has not had the desired effect!) and spent last night on all fours, in the lotus position and rocking my hips.

Thanks in advance!

Kirsten and blue bump (41+1)

Replies

• Hi mrsd2006

I'm afraid I've not got any advice regards to turning baby...

But just wanted to say my lo (now 6 months old) was only ever back to back during the final stages of my pregnancy...this was despite me sitting on my ball 18 hours a day and crawling round on all fours!! Ha ha. I went into labour with him being back to back and yes, it was a bit longer than it would have been if he'd been in the right position, but my labour was ok! We're already going to start ttc for our second so it definitely can't have been that bad!

Just wanted to send a bit of reassurance really that I suppose some babies (I'm not saying definitely yours...but definitely mine!) just maybe don't want to get in the 'optimum' position. My Alex was obviously very comfortable being back to back and no amount of effort made him budge!

Anyway what I'm trying to say is try not to worry too much. What will be will be...and as most of my friends say to me...if I can do it (and I'm the biggest wimp going!) then anyone can do it!!!

All the best for your labour..I'm actually a bit jealous as I'm so broody!! Ha ha

Xxxxxxx
  • Aw, thanks hon, that's actually so reassuring! image xx
  • HI

im afraid i too cant give any info on turning babies BUT both mine were back to back, both my labours came on their own , both at 39 weeks and both only lasting 6 hours.

with dd1 i saw the midwife for my 39 week appointment on the wednesday, she,like yours, booked me in for induction as "this baby wont come on her own shes nowhere near ready "(still not engaged), low and behold i had her withoin 24 hours of that appointment!!

with lizzie i had slow labour for a few days but nothing really apinful, then i had sweep as i wasnt allowed to go over due (this was at 39 weeks), i was already 3cms dialated and she was born again,within 24 hours of seeing the midwife!

i was allowed a water birth with dd1 but it was in use when i got to hospital, whats the reason you wont be able to have the water birth? is it because of the induction rather than position of baby? x
  • Hi loobysmummy,

Thanks for such a positive account! Yes, been told if I end up on a drip because the pessaries haven't worked then no waterbirth for me, which I understand. Was 1cm dilated last night, with medium cervix and it was about 2cm long, so not great, but the sweep has resulted in a large bloody show today, so hopefully that means I'm further dilated and effaced now! Really hoping that if I don't go by Monday (really can't see it) the prostin gel will have more of a chance of kicking me into labour naturally. X
  • Hi hun - g/c but just wanted to echo what the other ladies said. My LO was back to back and never turned. At 41+3 they told me she was no longer engaged and would most likely be induction, and to be honest a section as her head was so high. I had her naturally within 24 hours image

Funnily enough as soon as my waters went she headed in the right direction!!

xxx