Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

paracetamol

i have a head cold and no i can take paracetamol, i have been suffering in day with just lockets but taking paracetamol at night so i can sleep, but im worried that its been every night for a week! i cant get hold of midwife to ask her and i dont want to ring the emergency number,obvioulsy.

Replies

• Options
    Don't worry. I had an awful respiratory tract infection and had to take paracetamol for 10 days straight before they gave me any antibiotics. Even when I got antibiotics the doctor told me to keep taking paracetamol, I just tried to take one at a time to minimise the dosage a bit when I'd been on them a while.

Feel better soon xx
  • Options
    as long as you are only taking the reccmended dose it should be fine, i am in the same boat, awful cold and instead of the load of cold and flu stuff i have paracetamol and childrens albasoil

hope you get better soon x
  • Options
    Hi I recently asked my midwife the same, as 3 weeks ago i got out of hospital having had swine flu, pneumonia and then pleurisy. Aswell as many other stronger drugs taken in hosp, i had been worried i had been taking paracetamol as much as is allowed for over 3 weeks, once home from hosp. She said it is absolutely fine, and i need it so i should take it.

I have only stopped needing pain killers in the last couple of days and was ill from hogmanay. Hope that puts your mind at rest.

I had been worried because in previous pregnancies i would even try to hold off from taking paracetamol, but obv i was seriously ill and woudl never have managed without pain killers this time.

Laura, 30+2 with no. 3 xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I think its all based on whether the risk of you being in distress/ill on the baby outweighs the slight effect any drug may have on the baby.

Feeling pain and being ill is draining and so its better to be well and not in pain.

Obviously if well you wouldn't take anything but paracetamol is pretty safe during pregnancy.