Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

leg cramp! :(

ouchies!! image when im walking it feels like shin-splint, and i have been waking up about 3 times a night with the most painful cramp in my calves.. is anyone else suffering with this? whats the best thing to do about it?!

Replies

• Options
    I get this! Had it occasionally before pregnant but have had it nearly every night for the past week. Really hurt just after got up as well. Sorry but don't know how to stop it.
  • Options
    I get it too! Never normally get cramp but for last week or so have been getting it all the time. Through the night, when sitting and once really badly when driving. It is so ouchy! I did a bit of digging on google and read that it is very common. Can be due to your increasing body weight/change in posture, baby sitting on nerves/veins, lack of calcium and dehydration. Can try rubbing belly etc to move baby around. Try strecthing your legs out and massaging them. Drink plenty of water. Eat yoghurts, drink milk etc. Apparently eat bananas (heard this as well before pg) and also ready salted crisps. Also, a warm bath before bed is supposed to help!
  • Options
    I've suffered with leg cramp since being a teenager and it does increase for me during pregnancy.

Drinking pleanty of water helps and also Tonic Water with Quinin helps you only need a glass of that a day an you can noice a difference. If the cramp becomes unbareable stand on a cold surface. Mine has been knowing to last 10-15mins at times an when rubbin and massaging the area doesnt relief it standing on cold floor seems to relax the muscle.

I've had leg cramp so bad during pregnancy previously that my calf has been in agony for a week later. Not the most pleasent of wake ups when your wakin for the loo every hour an half lol

Hope it helps

36+1