Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Taking siblings to scans?

Hi ladies,

Just lying on the sofa dreaming of my 12 weeks scan and it suddenly dawned on me, I have no one to look after my DD who is 20 months. I am a SAHM so she is always with me or OH and he is obviously coming with me. So went and checked the appointment letter and there is a little bit in there about 'if at all possible not to bring children'....

but the only options I have are to take her in with us, can put her in her buggy and maybe treat her to a bag of buttons and a Peppa magazine!! Or, leave her at home with OH but I really want him to be with me and share the special moment, plus if there were something wrong I would definitely want him there.

So... has anyone else taken there toddlers along to 12 week scans and has anyones hospital out right refused to let toddlers in?

Replies

• My Daughter (3yr 5ms) has been with me at all 3 of my scans 12,20,35wks & midwife appointments.

Not once did anyone question that she was with us other then telling us how lovely she is. I found it a lovely experience having her with us seeing her baby brother on the monitors and she loved seeing him too. Made her feel like she is more apart of the experience. She says its our baby image

The only down side to taking your LO to these sessions are if you have to have Bloods/BP & Urine Check and having to see a Doc. It can get a lil boring for them an drag, I no it does for me. So I'd defo take the choccie and magazine for them so the wait isn't a bore.

My DD Was very paitent the otherday when we went up to see consultant. We were hanging around for and hour and half before we see anyone and there was being pushed pillar to post for half and hour before ppl were getting ready to finish for the day.

I say take your little one, they cant expect them to stay away. I could understand if u had 2-3 it'd be a lil crowded but a toddler on there daddy's lap isn't going to take up any room image x
  • I've not done it myself but 2 friends have and both were told the kids had to wait outside & could go in at the end of the scan to look at the baby if they wanted so then the partner had to wait outside with the child. In 1 of the cases the child was 8 and not going to cause a distraction.

I think it's the same with both the hospitals in Leeds but is obviously different for other parts of the country. Is there a number on the top of your letter you could ring to confirm exactly what the policy is? But my letter said in no uncertain terms would any child be allowed in the room til the end so please don't bring them at all if possible & if you have to bring them also bring someone else who can wait outside as childcare cannot be provided.
  • I don't think that I would take children to the scan. On my letter it was not recommended as it states they could be a distraction during the scan and they may miss something.
  • My sis wasn't allowed to take her DD with her to her scan as I remember her being really upset as she thought she was going to have to go on her own as her OH had to look after my niece. Luckily her MIL stepped in at the last minute.

I am pg again (V early days though) and I will won't be taking my LO to any scans apart from maybe the 4D one. However, we are lucky that my MIL has recently retired and is free to look after our LO.

• I think it depends on the childs age.

Mine DD's 14 and 10 years old and I'd had 3x miscarriages before this pregnancy, so my concern was them being around when/if I got more bad news. I wouldn't have been able to hide how I was feeling and would have felt bad for them seeing me like that, so (just in case) I didn't take them.

However, after the 20 week scan with this preg, we felt confident enough to book a 4D scan, so we could take the girls and so they could see their baby brother and bond. It was lovely, and they thought it was amazing! image

At 20 months though, your DD isn't going to be to aware of what is going on if their was any problems, so I don't think it would be a problem. If she was tired and grumpy and had a tantrum? your OH would just have to step outside with her, but I'm sure that wouldn't happen. I can't see any issues and the hospital can't expect you to leave a toddler outside in the waiting room alone!!

Good luck and enjoy your scan xxx
  • I have taken my DD to all of mine so far and it hasn't been a problem- she is 19 months now, so was 14 months at the first scan. The only distracted person was oh as he had to stop her from trashing the place as she's an explorer! I think it obviously depends on your hospital. If your worried ring the scan department and epxlain it to them and see what they say.

hth

xx
  • I took my 10 month old to our 12 week scan, just popped him in the buggy and he was fine. I really wanted him to be there and didn't want anyone to know until after our scan, so getting a sitter would have been difficult.

Personally though I won't be taking him to the 20 week scan, as that is more in depth, takes a lot longer (20 minutes or more) and I wouldn't want him to get bored and cause a fuss. xx
  • It says on all my hospital letters to leave all children aged 10 and under at home as they will not be permitted into the scanning suit. Not sure what they would expect you to do with lo if you had no-one else to watch them, perhaps ask a good friend or relitive? x
  • when i had my scans they ran 90 minutes late for one appointment and 70 minutes late for another, perhaps if the waiting time is bad at your hospital this would be another factor
  • Thanks for the replies ladies!

I have an appointment at the hospital on Tuesday so will pop in and ask then.

xx
  • when i went to have my 12 week scan, there was 3 mums with pushchairs having their 12 week scans, so i would say do whatever you like!
  • I took along my 20month old and sonographer was vile she kept making comments she couldn't hear properly and he wasn't even being loud at the end she told us not to take him next time as its too much of a distraction and it does recommend you dont take kids on the letter needless to say I was annoyed as at my private scan they didnt mind at all.

We will be leaving little one with a friend when we go for the scan more so for his benefit we had to wait around for 45mins then a further 20min after scan to be seen,
  • I had my 12 week scan last Tuesday and had both my 3year old and my 13month old sons in there with me. They didn't complain or say it wasn't allowed. The sonographer was telling my 3 year old what he could see. He has suspected aspergers and struggles with change. When I had ds2 the scans he went in to helped him get used to the idea and is helping with no3 as well. My sonographer even let my mother stay outside the room with them until she could confirm there was nothing wrong AS I have laready had 4mc and 2 of them werent picked up til 12 week scan. She then stopped and called them in. I was told I needed someone with me incase it was bad news again and as my oh had to work that meant them coming with me and my mum as there was no one else to care for them!!
  • Ive taken both of my daughters to early pregnancy scans they are 3 and 5 I'll be taking my three year old to my 12 week scan as i dont have anyone to look after her.

Nobody has ever complained about them, but they are generally shy and quiet.

• my letter said no children allowed in the room, i thought it was more to do with the equipment? having said that LO is not good at waiting as they always run late! also i am not sure i would want him there if anything was to be wrong, luckily my friend had him for an hour x
  • We've taken my our and half year old to all of ours (5 in total so far) we have no choice as family too far away and hubby has every right to be there and I want him too.

We had one sonographer who has scanned us twice who always seems a bit of a misery but that might not be anything to do with DD. Other ones have been brilliant and tried to include her.

I won't lie, it's hard work, unless you have a LO that will sit still quietly, hubby has never seen a full scan yet and if you have to see consultants afterwards you can be waiting some time too but don't let that stop you if you can do nothing else.

Em x
  • i took ds with us to all scans appointments as had no one to look after him (or OH would've have to miss it too)...he was 12months when got bfp and 21 months when dd arrived...all the staff etc were fine about it, and in general he was too, on the odd occasion he got over bored it was usually well after all the important stuff was done so OH would take him out side for the last 5 minutes...just make sure u have plenty of toys/books and snacks/drinks with u, as sometimes they can run very behind whcih is when u, let alone ur LO, will get grouchy. xx
  • Sounds like it depends on where you are! What hospital are you at? x