Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Do they use LMP or 12 week scan date?

OMG I only have a 16 month old and already forgotten.

Basically my LMP was 12th Jan so I worked out due date as 19th October as I was always told it was +7 days and minus 3 months (and all online give me same date). But doc said my due date is 24th October which I know cant be right (silly man)

When I have my 12 week scan, will they use this date or doctors?

I know it sounds silly but in the end those extra days could mean the diff in bubs being potentially 14 days over due or 19 days over due and that makes a BIG diff to me haha

Replies

• Hi

They used the 12 week scan date with both my previous pregnancies,

• My EDD has been changed to agree with the 12 week scan. Although the sonographer couldn't do maths and moved me by 4 days but added 10 days to my EDD so I had to point it out to everyone!
  • 12 week scan usually x
  • Depends on your hospital. My first was born at a different hospital to where I'm at this time and they went on an early scan date. Originally by LMP was 27 April, early scan put it back to 11 May, 12 week scan showed 5 May (which in my opinion was the correct one as I knew I had a 5 week cycle). But they left it at 11 May as it was less than a week difference to the one they had on records, i.e. 11 May. Like you say it makes quite a big difference at the end - my son ended up born 16 May so 5 days over 'officially' but I think 11 days over. Had I not gone into labour, it would have been left until he was 19 days overdue but 13 officially which is a bit of a worry! That said if you're hoping to avoid an induction it might work in your favour!

However this hospital changed my date according to my 12 week scan even though it was only 6 days out again (I lied and told dr my LMP was a week later than it was because of my 5 week cycle and knowledge of conception date). Went the other way and they've put me due earlier than I think (well I know, unless it was the immaculate conception!!). Doesn't bother me this time as I'll be having a section at 39 weeks so more like 38+1 but that doesn't matter too much.

Anyway sorry, to answer your question... depends!
  • My dates were the same, i guess it depends on when you ov?
  • hello

with my first my LMP gave me 29th dec but scan gave me 8th jan which it was changed to, baby came 31st dec

this time LMP gave me 7th july and scan gave me 14th so changed x
  • I'm pretty sure they use LMP until you have your dating scan and then that takes over x
  • they used LMP ,unless the scan massively differs from LMP date
  • they used lmp until 12week scan both times, regardless of what my early scans said, then they changed dates (even though only 3days different with ds and 4 days with dd) to what the 12week scan said.
  • Our area uses LMP unless the scan date is more than 5 days different.

I had lots of early scans and all gave a slightly different date but they always just stuck to my LMP date which made me due 8th Sept BUT I KNOW I ov'd later and she was actually due on 11th Sept. So, she was actually 3 days early based on my calcs! Reeeeeeally hope next baby isn't even earlier! Eek!

• My LMP gave me the due date 28 feb however 12wk scan give me 25 feb. Sonographer said to stick to 25th but then midwife said she'd say the 28th however i had a growth scan an different sonographer said defo the 25th as my due date. Its only 3days i suppose but wont be getting my hpes up
  • they use my LMP which was 19th july untill i had my 12week scan

and now it's 15th july and thats only 4days early image
  • in my last two pregnancies they went by my dates, which were 40 weeks from 1st day of LMP, and stuck to these dates at 12 week scan as there was less thn a weeks discrepancy, this time my MW worked me out to be due 40 weeks + 1 day from 1st day of LMP, scan confirmed this and that is the date they use now even if there is only a days discrepancy - it's what the 12 week scan says and that's that!
  • According to my LMP, due date is 7 Jan 2013 but my scan report says my due date is on 31 Dec 2012. Which is correct?

• They go off the scan date x
  • They will base it upon your 12wk scan date with the view you can expect to deliver anyday within that week (e.g. 31st Dec is a monday so they would advise your baby would be expected to arrive between 30th Dec - 5th Jan) for purposes of Mat leave/Mat pay/etc...HTH.