Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Name Stealing.....!!

Random question and as I dont even know what im having yet its not overly important but....

My hubby and I have picked 3 boys names we both like with one as a main contender but we are struggling with girls names. We want one to go with Olivia (my DD) and the ones I like he doesnt and vice versa but we both love Emily however this is my cousins name (and his work colleague literally just had a Emily).

What are everyones thoughts on name stealing!?

My cousin is 16 years younger than me and as a result we dont exactly run in the same circles and probably only see each other at very special events but I feel like it would be wrong to use her name but I LOVE IT and its a name ive always liked (Olivia would have been Emily if I had the guts back then to use it!).

Replies

• Hiya,

I don't think there is anything wrong with using the name Emily (it is a lovely name!). Especially if you and your cousin don't have the same friends etc. If anything I think she will see it as a lovely gesture using her name. My little one has the same name as a family member and I was not too bothered about doing this. It's more important that you both agree on a name you like, so I would go for it!

Good luck,

Emma x
  • I think for such a big age difference its not a problem. Also if you have a large family, names are going to get repeated eventually.

I would only be bothered about 'name stealing' if it was an immediate relative and babies were of a similar age.

Dont worry about it hun, go for it!
  • i agree. in the situation youre in i dont think it would be a problem. i also really like the name emily btw.
  • Tell your cousin your naming your little one after her! No one can get mad then!
  • Emily is the best name ever! (its my name!!!) it goes well with Olivia too so I would use it if you both like it. Who cares where the name comes from if you love it, have it or you will look at your baby and think that name doesn't suit her because she should be Emily! xxx
  • G/C but that situation is not what I think of as name stealing - I think it's if you knew someone close to you had a favourite name for their baby, due around the same time as yours (or just after) then you decided to use that name too, knowing it was their choice first! Using the same name as your cousin has, several years later, is fine IMO - you do run the risk of your cousin thinking the baby is named after her, would you mind that?

Emily is a beautiful name though, a classic - she will always come across other Emilys, so if you love it, go for it!
  • use it!! its a lovely name and you can guarantee if you dont use it someone else will and make it even more difficult for you!!

I have an Emily! image
  • you could always spell it differently if you're worried. I wouldn't worry though. I think it'd be different if it were someone very close to you, the kids were close in age, or it was a very rare name, perhaps.

Emily's lovely. I say go for it.
  • G/c but you could always spell it differently like littlest monkey said , I have a friend called Emmalee but it is said the same as Emily!
  • Oooh I like the idea of spelling it differently! Emilie perhaps??

I feel better about it now. Thank you! Just didnt want to cause a family debate (in normal familes it wouldnt but in mine it prob would!) but I think im going to go for it!

(ill prob have a boy now but wanted a name for each before we found out!)
  • I don't get this whole name stealing thing?! Names don't belong to anyone as far as i'm concerned! I'd find it a compliment if someone wanted to call their baby the same name as i have! I say go for it, if anyone causes a fuss i think they'd come out of it looking worse than you!

xx
  • We used the name Kayla-Skye for our daughter but its also my brother in laws daughters middle name and for the first year my MIL would say Kayla was named after her until i screamed NO shes not her name is Kayla-Skye and Megan is just Kayla, still think she thinks it though grrrrrrr

that would drive me completely mental!!

i think you should go with whatever name you both like as its so hard to agree sometimes!

we have literally only agreed on one name for this boy and im 35+6!!
  • I think it is only name stealing if you have a close friend who wants that name and you used it first after they had told you. Emily is a fab name (my daughters!) I am having another girl and her middle name will be the name of 1 year old god daughter. We loved it so much we asked if they would mind and they were over the moon that we liked their daughters name that much x
  • hi, don't even worry about the work colleauge - if you aren't going to know them forever, you can't base a massive decision like your daughter's name on what they might think. Emily was top girls name for so many years and is now still in the top 5 there's no way we don't all know at least a couple of girls with the name - its popular for a reason, classic, elegant and beautiful.

i want to name our baby joseph if he's a boy (again, very popular). My husbands friend who he very rarely sees has a son called joseph and also my 29 year old cousin is joseph too. My cousin will be so made up. As for the friend, oh sees him so rarely am not even considering his feelings. Its hardly an uncommon name anyway!

I think if you mention to the right family members that its emily as you just think your cousin has such a beautiful name they will be made up.

Like others have said, i think its only an issue if someone close to you has a baby close to the time you do or its a very rare, unique name.

Just out of interest (as you obviously have taste in names!) what are your boy choices? Mine are henry, george and joseph, my girl names are eleoner, elizabeth, evie and olivia.

xxx
  • G/Cing!

My fiance has a 17 year old cousin who has the name that we have chosen for our DS2 but that doesn't bother either of us. If anything, they may even be flattered image If you are still a bit unsure though, what about Emilia or Amelie? These were the 2 names we really wanted if either DS1 or DS2 had've been girls! It's a good job DS2 is a boy because we would never have decided between either name!

Good luck everyone with the rest of your pregnancies image

Nat xx
  • i do and dont get this,i am expecting a girl and love the middle name 'rose' but i no its my bro in law daughter middle name,now even though a middle name i asked if she would mind,and she lasughed' of course not!' but still thats me! we havent choosen a nme that is in the family but i love the names-i have 2! always best i can pick between the two as to what we think suits her when she is born! i love them so much i dont care who/what has them!