Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Has anyone else had severe constipation?

I'm 7wks prg and from 5wks ive had really bad constipation, been in so much pain, had to go to hospital. I couldnt walk or drive or cough without it really hurting, its not as bad now but still not great. Been taking lactolose and it has been moving abit but not enough, been drinking loads of water and eating fruit etc.

Replies

• Options
    Yes :cry:

Im 8+3 and iv been like this for about 2 weeks! Iv not been that bad that iv had to go to hospital but am so 'bunged up'!

Chemist told me to take Fibogel and mix it with fresh orange juice with bits in! cant say its worked wonders but im trying to eat lots of fruit and veg and wholemeal bread etc and im so sick of the sight of water!

Ill be watching this for any miracle cures :lol:
  • Options
    I had it too and still do at 24w, It's not as bad as it was now though. The best thing I have found is drink lots of water as you've said and I take lactulose if it get's really bad, but that would give me tummy cramps, so I have bought some of that stir into drinks fibre powder and use that regularly too and that's helps a bit. Of course you could try prunes and some spicy food - spicy food seems to do the trick for me image I haven't found a magical cure yet though :roll:
  • Options
    Constipation has beent he only gripe I have with being pregnant. I have literally been constipated non stop from weeks 14 - 25 (now!) I poop like a rabbit! Haha. At Christmas I was so bunged up I was in agony and really sick - had to take lactulose for several days and then finally it did the trick. Since then I have just been really sluggish. I am not uncomfy or in any pain just don't seem to need to! So annoying. I've tried eating dates, apricots etc, drinking more. I take a dose or two of lactulose every weekend and it does give me the urge but still little happens! So unglamorous! I've spoken to a few people and apparently it is very common. Your body needs more of what you are eating so you do poo less, baby puts weight on your digestive system and everything slows down in passing through you. Try not to worry about as stress doesn't help either. The only other time in my life I have suffered with it was a few weeks before my wedding - I think stress plays a big part for me. Your digestive system completely shuts down if you are anxious. Have a warm bath, drink loads of orange juice, get hubby to rub your back. Take lactulose if you need as is very gentle on your system. I heard fybogel etc deplete you of a lot of liquid etc. Also - most importantly, remember it is completely normal and everyone suffers to some extent. Just think in 8 odd months you'll have your baby and be poo free! hahaha. I make everyone laugh because I am looking forward to a good bout of the runs with the onset of labour... hehehe. Pregnancy is so lovely! :lol:
  • Options
    Oh gosh yes !! My mw advised I ate lots of jacket potato's and most importantly to eat the skin and you know what after eating them twice a day for around 4 days it worked and I havent looked back since !! Whenever I begin to feel a bit stuffed I up my veg and juice intake and eat the potatos and so far touch wood its always worked !
  • Options
    Hopes_mammy - I heard several people say about having an orange a night so really interesting to hear you say it works too. Might get some today just incase!

Lambchop - who knew baked potatoes would budge the poop! Haha. I love jacket potatoes but only eat them once every few weeks! Maybe I shall start eating them more frequently. Also, Heinz hoops and beans are one of your five a day - bonus!
  • Options
    yeah I've had it bad early on too same as with my first pregnancy and it was so uncomfortable I couldn't sit down properly. I have pretty much gorged on oranges which has helped, I've also had prunes or raisins with my cereal to try and help too, try not to have white bread and not too much caffine or fizzy drinks. If it gets bad a nice warm bath has always helped me, or a hot water bottle on my back too and try and keep active too
  • Options
    not to sound all geeky but I am actually doing research in nutritional health, focusing on the large intestine(where the constipation happens) and would say be careful with the lactulose and food that is spicier than your normal diet because it can affect the bacteria population.

Try plenty of high fibre foods(careful, not the added bran stuff), veg and fruit and lots of water.

Potatoes are a good idea because they have a lot of starch which is digested slowly(for better effect eat some cold) also try beans, porridge and whole grains because they have a lot of resistant starch which goes through without digestion(sorry if TMI)

OK, geek post over, hope I didn't bore anybody
  • Options
    I am 16 weeks and have been constipated from bfp!

However, since Saturday I have been taking spa tone in orange juice. It's a natural iron supplement and boy have I been flushed out! Every morning regular as clockwork. It's the only thing that has worked for me xx