Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weight gain in 1st Tri - without MS

I know lots of people get MS so dont put on much in 1st tri however those who didnt get MS and ate normally what kind of weight gain did you have?

I have read the books and online and it say between 2-4 lbs OMG no way will I only put that on!! Non preggers I can fluctuate 2lb in a week

With DS1 at 8 weeks I had put on 6 lbs and at 12 weeks 10 lbs.

I was wondering if most people manage to stay within the 2-4lbs or have some of you put on more than that in 1st Tri?

Replies

• I am 11 weeks and have had a bit of MS but nothing that's put me off my stride with stuffing my face! I weighed myself yesterday and I have put on 5lbs but I have been very naughty with food! I reckon if I'd've managed to eat sensibly I might have just put 2 or 3 lbs on. In my defence though, I seem to get REALLY hungry REALLY quickly and need to eat! I know I am going to be paying for the weight gain of having two babies in quick succession for the next couple of years!!!
  • With my first ds I put on 7lbs in first trimester.

However with my ds2 I put on 12lbs from being so hungry all the time. I gain weight easily and even with this pregnancy and having severe ms and not eating hardly for weeks (only just starting to eat now) and being on tablets I still put on 3lb by the time I was 12+5 when I was weighed at my scan. Everyone is different and their bodies react in different ways.
  • g/c i didn't have morning sickness or nausea with either of mine, ds i didn't put on anything by the end of first tri and dd i lost 7lb by 14weeks...i didn't put on weight as i wasn't snacking to beat nausea (which is generally what those with ms do)and also ur metabolism speeds up when pregnant so u can find u lose weight, with dd i only put on 9lb in total and she was 8lb4 so ended up lighter, and i was eating more than enough ben and jerry's to feed an army!...2-4lb is average, but then who's average?
  • Hello!

Was wondering the same actually, I've put on about 4lb in the 1st trimester, I did feel very queasy and tended to stuff my face with rubbish when the urge took me so am surprised its not more to be honest.

And in contrast to Wowbabies, I put on 3.5 stone with my ds, am desperately hoping not to gain that much weight this time round as am more than a stone heavier to start with.

Does any one know how much you are meant to put on in the 2nd trimester? Is it about 12lbs?

xxx
  • MrsSP73 -- with ds i only put 2lb on by 28weeks, but by the end of pregnancy (40+6) i had gained 3.5stone!....dd though (my second pregnancy) i ended up 1.5stone lighter iwthin a week of giving birth! and if anything iwas eating more with dd than i did with ds xx
  • this link (stay on the us site though, the uk one doesn't ahve it) is geat for checking ur weight gain against....

http://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

xx
  • I'm 24 weeks and have gained 10lb, probably about 4 of which was in the first trimester. Was the same first time around too and haven't suffered any sickness with either one.

Personally I think your starting weight and body shape has a lot to do with it. I weighed 11 1/2 stone pre-pregnancy so although not abese, I do carry a bit of weight and have a good fat store. Which IMO means that I shouldn't put as much on as someone who carries little fat and doesn't weigh much. I hope that has come across right and hasn't offended anyone xx
  • I last weighed myself a couple weeks ago when I was about 12 weeks and I hadn't put on anything. Had a teeny but of morning sickness but not really bringing anything up. x
  • Iv put on 3lbs in total so far. I lost some (due to really healthy eating when i found out i was pregnant) and then gained a few again.

I was a size 16 anyway before i started and thought id gain LOADS, but im pleased with my 3lbs!

I think everyone is different and i dont think you should beat yourself up on how much you gain!

• When i was pregnant with my son i lost 3lbs in the first 6 weeks but by 12 i had gained 8lbs. Overall i gained nearly 4 1/2 stone - i have a thyroid problem and was addicted to milkshake though.
  • I'm 14 weeks and have gained 2 kgs not sure what that is in lbs.
  • I've had MS but because I could only eat crappy foods and not "proper" dinners for ages I've put on about 4lbs so far, with dd I put on around 7lbs and cant remember with ds but I know it was less