Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anaemic at 35 weeks?

I developed anaemia with my first baby at 30 weeks. I had no signs and was only found on routine bloods. I was started on iron and had no problems. At 35 weeks I remember feeling tired but this time round I am exhausted. I don't know if that's because I have a 4 year old to run round after. Mind you she is good so I do get plenty rest. I am totally exhausted, have no appetite and look very washed out all the time. My bloods 8 weeks ago were okay. I dont see my midwife for over a week and dont want to bother the doctor if this is what most woman feel like at 35 weeks. I know I am meant to be tired but I feel exhausted. Anyone else feel like this? Will my doctor think I am wasting time if it's normal pregnancy tiredness :?

Replies

• have you had your bloods done recently? where they ok?

defo worth giving the midwife a ring as its important you are not aneamic before delivery x
  • No, not since 28 weeks. I cant get to see my midwife before the next appointment. Thinking maybe I should see the GP. I am having a c section in just under 4 weeks so bound to bleed a bit more which is why I am worried. I just didnt want my doctor thinking I was over reacting!
  • are you having a pre op then, they should do your bloods then?
  • Hiya, If you have no appetite then there is a good chance that your Hb levels could have dropped a lot since your last blood test, so I wouldn't worry about bothering your doctor, yours and your baby's health is far more important. I have had to have to have 2 total dose I.V. iron transfusions this pregnancy (one at 30 weeks, and one at 36 weeks) because my Hb was 6.8 and the first transfusion only took it up to 8.4. I have never felt so crappy in my whole entire life. I felt physically and emotionally exhausted, and I was having palpitations, hypotension and dizziness. I felt like I had been run over and was scared of going out alone with my 3 year old son because I felt faint and sick in shops! :S Now I'm 38 weeks and my Hb is 10.4 and I feel fantastic, like a new person. Now it's just my SPD that is stopping me from doing the can-can! image

Sorry for the life history/waffle. If you have got anaemia though, then you are best getting it sorted sooner or later, and that is what your GP is there for. Especially with you having a c-section. I had the I.V, iron with my son at 38 weeks and never got the full benefit and had to have a blood transfusion after the birth.

Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out image xx
  • Thanks for your replies. I am having a pre op assessment but it is 5 days before surgery so I decided to go this morning to see my GP. I told her I was worried about making an appointment if it was not necessary but she was lovely. She did loads of checks and did bloods. Said I would find out on Tuesday but thinks from my symptoms I am probably anaemic. I know I am bound to be more tired as I have a child this time round and it's not like last time when I was able to rest but I have SPD too and am on crutches so don't get to walk far so I know I am not over doing it. Well, we'll see what the bloods show, thanks for both your advice. Feel better for going x
  • glad you got it sorted x
  • hi i would get it checked out. i have been quite anaemic since 26 wks when i had swine flu and pnemuonia, although its improving i am still a bit amaemic at 38+5, and not to scare you but my midwife worried me when she said that if u are anaemic at the birth and lose a lot of blood you more likely to need a blood transfusion!

this was enough to make me get on top of it. i cannot tolerate iron pills atall, have severe stomach pains with the pills, but i have been using Spatone liquid which is much better on stomach..and my iron levels are rising.
  • They are terrible for putting the fear up you. Bleeding can be an issue (I meant to say sooner rather than later in my first post sorry, for that reason). In my first pregnancy I had a GP I had never spoken to before calling me selfish (on the phone) because I wasn't taking iron supplements because everything they gave me was making me puke up 15 minutes after taking them so I was keeping nothing down. I tried ferros sulphate, ferrous gluconate, sodium feredetate, and god knows what else! I was losing weight and had ketones in my urine so I didn't have much choice than to not take them, because I wasn't keeping any nutrients down, nevermind iron! She told me my son would be "feeble" and "below average intelligence because of my selfish choices", cheeky cowbag! She was wrong though, my son was 8lb3oz and very strong and advanced for his age.

I do seriously believe that babies nick all the goodness and leave the mother without so please don't let anyone worry you about your babies. Spatone is good, especially with orange juice, so is Floradix, but the best one I've found is Feroglobin because it contains vit C, vit B12 and folic acid. Tastes a bit manky because I hate malt, but there is a tablet version aswell. Tastes much better than liquid iron though which tastes like wet dogs! Rank! image

Wishing you ladies (and other anaemic ladies who read this!) healthy pregnancies, births and babies image NB xx
  • Thanks ladies for all your help. I have had blood taken and hopefully find out early next week. I want to get it sorted early as my section is in just over 3 weeks and I do worry about blood loss and transfusion.

Nora_Batty how rude was your doctor? What a horrible thing to say to you. As if anyone would purposefully not take something when it was of benefit to your baby. Stupid doctor! x
  • GP rang me today and I am anaemic and need to start iron. It's not a serious case of anaemia but my levels have dropped a lot since my blood test in February so I am pleased I went as god knows how low they could have got before my section! x
  • I was Anaemic on both my pregnancy's.

On my DS I had my bloods taken on the tues which were 10.8 an even though id been taking spatone daily at double doeses by the monday they had dropped to 10.4 which was when i went in to labour.

I've not entertained the prescriptions of iron since DD 4years ago. They even give me some after the birth of DS and i just flushed em and continued with the spatone liquid

• As Nora-Batty said I really wouldn't worry about the rubbish they tell you about your baby being 'feeble' I had bad anaemia with DD2 and she was 9lb 3oz when she was born, all bright eyed and nosey lol. I ended up with a blood transfusion too so I agree that the baby takes what it needs and leaves us to suffer haha xx