Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Whats the earliest you can tell the sex from the scans??

I have my 2nd scan a week on Thursday at which point I'll be 13+6 and I'm hoping, even though I have no idea if it's possible, that they might be able to give us an indication of what sex he/she is.

What do you think, is it possible?

Last scan was at 10+3 and got a really clear picture of him/her so I cannot wait for next Thursday haha Im like a child at Christmas!

:lol:

Replies

• They will not say at that early stage. You can have a private scan from 16 weeks where they will tell you but the NHS won't until your 20 week scan.

Gem x

36+6
  • yeah i think 13 weeks is too soon to tell. i dont think they do it at all before 16 weeks. we found out at our 20 week scan and even then its still hard to tell unless you really know what youre looking for.
  • Awww wishful thinking then?

Oh well I'll just have to wait a few more weeks! xx
  • Yes, 16 weeks is probably the earliest for a private gender scan xx
  • As you most likely have seen though on here if you get a good profile shot of your baby without legs in the way there is a scientifically researched theory called nub theory which by looking at the nub can give you an idea of what you may be having between week 11-14. Mine was spot on as the nub indicated girl and I am having a girl. I posted mine on a website called in-gender too and all guesses were for a girl! It works pretty well if you get a good shot and baby is not too curled up!
  • I found out at 15+0 from babybond with DS1...they said 16 weeks but were happy to do it at 15weeks.

The London Ultra Sound clinic do it from 14 weeks
  • I found out with my NHS scan at 14+5 this time, that's the earliest I've heard. My 20 week one confirmed it!