Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

One Born Every Minute

Did anyone watch this week's OBEM? I have just watched it and cried and cried. Baby Gino's case was so similar to Charlie's. As soon as they mentioned mum's swollen ankles I thought "Oh I had that", then the polyhydramnios was obvious, followed by a huge baby. 24 hours after birth Gino is in SCBU fighting for his life with low blood sugars. Luckily for them his Hyperinsulinism was transient (from pregnancy) and he soon started to regulate his blood sugars. Charlie's HI was genetic so he got worse and needed to go to GOSH for surgery. However those first couple of days were very similar. Just relieved that Gino got home ok and hope he has no follow-up problems.

Anyway the reason I posted here is to make sure everyone knows to watch their newborn for signs of low blood sugars. Charlie was cold, hard to wake, no interest in feeding and eventually had seizures. If your baby shows any of these please insist on a blood sugar measurement. A lot of HI babies die in their sleep as undiagnosed cot death.

H xx

http://lifebegins.channel4.com/the-tv-series/2/episode-12/

FB group - Children's Hyperinsulinism UK

--------------------

Replies

• Is Charlie okay now? xx
  • The HI was "cured" by surgery but he is now 100% tube-fed and suffers from severe reflux. He is behind on some of his developmental milestones but we won't know for sure until he's a bit older. But mainly he's a happy, bouncy baby. Thanks for asking,

H xx