Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

NCT classes

NCT classes in my area seem to cost loads. If I'm honest, I think the main thing I want out of them is to meet other local folk in the same position.

Am I underestimating their use? Did you find the information useful/any more detailed than from the books etc?

Are there any other ways of meeting mums to be in my area? (unfortunately we don't seem to have any exercise classes nearby, aimed at pregnant folk)

Replies

• Hi sorry, gatecrashing from DIS

Does your hospital run classes? Ours do, they are free as well xx
  • Hi there, I would def recommend them!! We paid ??170 - that's for a 6 week course, 2.5 hours every Mon evening, plus one extra breastfeeding session. We have had 3 so far, there are 6 other couples, all our age (roughly), all local, and they are lovely. The lady that runs it is a private midwife, and she really tells it like it is. Its very informal with plenty of chat and practical things too like how to bath, change a nappy etc. All the hubbies really enjoy it too!

I'm so glad we booked them, for the information we are receiving you don't necessarily get in books and the support network also. Well worth the money! Zxx
  • Hi

You should have the option of a few different classes. At the bare minimum there will be NHS classes that are free and in our area we have NCT and a midwife led group too.

Lots of my friends have said how useful NCT were and they are meant to be much more thorough than the freebie classes at the hospital.

I was recommended NCT as apparently they tend to attract a lot of professional women who might be in a similar boat as me - having to juggle baby with going back to a demanding job eventually etc etc.
  • I have honestly met better friends through the nursery my dd now goes to!

The nct coffee mornings once baby is born though are also really good for meeting people! xxx
  • Really enjoyed ours, finished few weeks ago and our Midwife was a mine of information and talking to friends who did NHS ones, we covered so much more and Hubby enjoyed it too. We paid ??180 for 6 weeks in our area and I really do feel it was worth it. WE are all meeting up in July to meet the babies and I have already met couple of ladies for coffees, past few weeks, although the babies are starting to appear now image. I do honestly feel it was money well spent and at first thought it was a lot of money to spend before we started going. xx
  • thanks everyone. You've convinced me... considering it's more than I was planning on spending on both the buggy and cot combined (Ikea and ebay are wonderful things), I just wanted to be sure.

Will look into doing the free hospital ones as well though.
  • I was quite vocal about the ones I did last year with my DD as they were a huge waste of money (for lots of reasons)! It's very much pot luck on your intstructor and who is in your class. Unfortunately, ours was very small (only 4 couples) and we were spread over a 20 mile radius.

K x
  • I really resented the money we paid for ours, they offered no more than the free hospital ones. Our instructor was useless and seemed almost scared to host the group! She didn't seem to be able to get us to mix even though we chatted lots xxx
  • I found them really useful but like has been said before it is the luck of the draw with who the leader is. Ours was brilliant but the breastfeeding woman wasn't. We only had 5 couples but that was nice and have already met up a few times and it is really lovely to share advice and tips now the babies have started to arrive. The information was great and my husband found it really useful. We had 17 hours in total so got a lot for the money. Think ours only cost ??130 as didn't pay for membership of nct. I do know people who have not done nct ones who have regretted not doing them but have yet to found people who have regretted doing nct ones.
  • argh! I wonder if it's possible to meet the person that takes the class before signing up? Anyone done this?

Or, is it possible just to sign up for the first class or something?
  • The thing is, I do feel there's stuff I'd like to ask about the labour, but perhaps I could just ask this stuff at the hospital classes/tour, and then surely it'd be more specific to my situation anyway, given it's the place I'd give birth? Urg. So undecided.
  • I took NCT classes and there were 5 other couples. We have seen each other most weeks since our babies were born and they are my closest 'mummy friends'. I was lucky to be in a friendly group of people who make an effort to stay in touch.

Some people have done it and not found the same, unfortunately that element is the luck of the draw!

Another big factor in us doing it was that my hubby couldn't make the NHS ante natal classes and I think NHS care often overlooks the partner. The men were made to feel very involved and given chance to discuss their own worries separately, which I think helped him.

I did learn some useful things about the birth but to be honest I don't think there was anything massively new, and I could have found answers to questions myself.

I have also worked to find mother and baby groups in my area, and so whilst I have made some good friends through NCT and would do it again, I don't think I'd be lonely without it.

Don't know if that helped much! I think they are worthwhile classes overall but it is a lot of money, as you say. Sadly I don't think they let you do a taster session as it wouldn't suit the group dynamic. You may be able to get the number of the course leader and talk to her by phone if you think that would help you get a feel for what she's like?
  • Littlest monkey - I meant to say, get in touch with your local children's centre. They run lots of sessions for mums and babies and will be able to tell you about groups in your area. If like me you live in an area where there's lots going on, you might meet other mums without having to fork out ??170 x
  • i really recommend them myself. The main things we got out of it were:

a - OH learnt loads. NHs ones were int eh day and he wouldn't take time off work for them. Literally saved my life on the day I gave birth because he was on the ball.

b - met some great friends through them. We would meet almost every day after babies were born. Someone does have to step up and make the effort to organise things at first I found. We've now all found we're pg at the same time again!

the classes themselves were good, the teacher was nice but these were best things I got out of them.

xx
  • I can thoroughly recommend them. They were so informative and really made us think about our options. The instructor was a bit 'arty' for our tastes though!

Over a year after the birth of our babies the mums have regular meet ups with baby's and girly evenings and we also have whole family gatherings with dad's too.

I would say it was well worth the money
  • thanks for the great answers everyone.

It's true that OH could definitely do with a bit of a clue as to what's going to happen! Hadn't thought of it from that point of view. I think he thinks it's a bit like popping a champagne cork!!!

I've just looked up the 'local' classes and the closest is about a 40 min walk away! Given that I'll be 8 months pregnant, and the bus doesn't run that late where we are, I'm thinking that might be our answer anyway!!! Will look into ones further away to see if they're any better.

Will look into the children's centre too- that's a surestart thing, right?
  • In our area we have NHS and midwife organised groups that are free to join. With my 1st pregnancy I attended as I felt a bit like 'stumbling in dark' and got some helpful tips from the midwives as to what to expect and what not to take for granted such as length of labour, order of contractions/shows/waters (I was very naive thinking they had a set pattern). As for meeting other mums and mums to be, I've met more through baby weighing clinics and playgroups that my DD attends. They also do coffee mornings occasionally. Ask your midwife if she knows of anywhere, mine had an A4 page of places local to me.
  • I'm the same as a lot of the ladies, we're new to the area and it was the best decision i made to take the classes. The info was fine - i knew most of it because I read around but I have met six lovely couples who i know are going to be friends for life. A fab group of people who i feel very llucky to have met.

R x
  • We did them purely because I wanted to meet people. I wasn't that bothered about the info. In the end I got a v judgemental group who made me feel pooey about myself so I only saw them a few times after our babies were born. But the info we got was worth the cost anyway and if I could go back in time I could still do them. I honestly don't think I would have had a water birth without the classes.

I am now pg with no 2 and have signed up for refresher classes, again purely to meet people. Might have more luck with the group this time.

• For me they were definately worth the money. However, like others have said more due to the support network that they have provided me with. My DD will be one next month and although most of us are now back at work we still meet up once a week, have girly nights out (and lads nights out!) and we are currently arranging a 1st birthday party for the babies.

I think that other classes really neglect the Dad's and NCT's really included hubby and although I didn't learn a huge amount that I hadn't already read about hubby certainly did and he gained a group of male friends who are all happy to talk babies (not so easy for lads with their usual group of friends)

I have since supported an NCT group and also am about to sign up for refresher classes for baby number 2, so that they also have a ready made group of friends their own age.

It might be worth finding out if the NCT in your area run Bumps and Babes sessions, these are like coffee mornings or afternoons, cost ??1 and it is somewhere you can start to go to meet people before baby comes. They also run Breastfeeding Coffee mornings and again you can pop along before baby arrives.

For me NCT has been fantastic but I can see how some of the issues that others have mentioned above can happen.

Amme

17 weeks today!