Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

PILES

Sorry ladies this is probably TMI but can anyone help with the dreaded pregnancy piles.? I am in SO much pain and can't rest with my feet up as I have a 14mth old running around!

Replies

• Hi hon, I feel for you. I suffer with IBS and also have my 16mth old DD tearing about the place. Best advice I can give is trying to drink a glass of fruit juice every day, eat plenty of fruit (I find bananas best) and occasional choccy can help restore normal balance and reduce the discomfort. If you have any allergies or diabetes, your midwife should also be able to give dietry advice on beating the pain. Best wishes.
  • Hi , I also suffered throughout my pregnancies and still now to be honest , go see your GP mine gave me really good cream which really helped.
  • a piles cream and making sure you are not straining or constipated, i am taking lactulose which helps soften stool
  • I am taking Movical (i think thats how you spell it) which is a sachet that you have with water. My doctor persripted me 6 a day then 8 a day then 2 a day over a month. She said my bowels have to be cleared out to stop piles hurting and getting worse, she also would not give me any creams until i was in really discomfort but made clear they will not minimize the piles one bit. Hope this helps
  • Anusol cream is really soothing and safe in pregnancy. Can get it without a prescription
  • Oh I sympathise!

The advice I was given was to use the anusol cream to soothe it and try to keep them small as possible with plenty of drinking water and eating tons fo fruit and veg.

Its a bit easier in this weather when often all you want is salad!image

My GP also said to use baby wipes to wipe after going to the loo as these are gentler.

If they get very itchy and sore you need to get them seen as they can easily get a bit of an infection which needs treating.image
  • Oh I can totally sympathise! Had them in both pregnancies. I don't suffer constipation at all but have had painful piles towards the end of my pregnancies and after birth.

Anusol and other over the counter stuff hasn't really touched them. Both times my midwives have prescribed Proctosedyl cream and suppositories (safe in pregnancy) and these combined are fab. They help to numb and shrink your piles. My midwife even said this time as soon as you get them ask for this prescription to get them under control straight away before labour and advised to not even bother with over the counter cream. Your midwife or GP will prescribe without a check up thankfully! image