Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do you need second time around?

Hi,

I'm pregnant again and my little girl will be 16 months when baby arrives!

We have decided not to get a cot as by the time baby needs one, Eve will be 19/20 months so maybe ready to move in to a big girls bed! Obviously will need a new mattress at that point!

We will need new bottles and teets but the steriliser is fine!

Will need a double pushchair.

I'm going to get a new change bag, just because I want one lol!

So my question is what do I need second time around?

Becky

Xxx

Replies

• How about a second monitor? x
  • If you used muslins or bibs, I found buying extra for number two was helpful.

The reason I say this is that my first two were 19 months apart, and I found dd1 was always taking the muslins and bibs to use on her dolls. Oh and extra socks, I would turn around for half a second and dd2's socks were forever being stolen to be found on a teddy, doll, ect.

I didn't want to make a fuss if I didn't have to, as it was a delicate balance to ensure dd1 didn't feel dd2 had just come in and pushed her aside, so I found having a few extra of everything useful, so when she wanted one of whatever the baby had. I could just let her have it. Then she didn't feel there was all this special stuff just for the new baby.

xx
  • DS will be 18 months when this one is due

we have bought

a double buggy (icandy pear)

new teats (will boil the old bottles)

new dummies

toddler bed (DS is in that now so we are using old cotbed for baby)

new bedding ( not specifically for baby but if shes as sickly as DS we will need more than what we already have!)

new matteress

we havent used the monitor for DS for a long time so we will get out the one we have already although if you still use yours by them might be worth considering?

as we are having a girl this time we have bought some new clothes and blankets to replace the blue ones we have and have got some new muslins and bibs as they are well worn and stained now!
  • Hi,

DS will be 2 when this one arrives and thinking about it there really isnt alot that i need to get this time round.

New mattress for crib

Double buggy - phil and teds

Another monitor

new teats for bottles, i will reuse old bottle (hopefully i will be able to breastfeed this time though!)

Toddler bed for DS and bits for his new room

xx
  • We will have a 2 year gap and like the others there isn't really much we need. Our list is pretty similar to Podington's. Plus smaller nappies of course! We need a new steriliser as the old one is broken but I might not buy one yet and see how BF goes. I have a mini one that can fit 1 or 2 bottles if we want to try the occasional bottle. DD was a nightmare for accepting a bottle so we have squillions in the loft that we bought for her to try that weren't used at all so even if I do switch to bottles we'll wait until we know which brand this bubs will accept before buying lots of new ones.

With DD I was totally obsessed with buying everything we might possibly need beforehand but this time I feel really relaxed about it and just think that if we find we need something more muslins, bibs etc OH can just pop to Tesco - it's open 24 hours!!!

• Hi my DD will be approx 21mths old when her sibling arrives.

We are getting another cotbed and mattress(if like DD it won't like moses basket so best prepared), double pushchair, new bottle teats (will clean and sterilize old bottles), muslin squares and bibs (DD has a thing about waving these around like flags) and newborn nappies and clothing.
  • Oh and obviously the bits for us mummies such as breast pads, maternity pads, big baggy knickers, nursing clothes, etc...