Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pregnant again following mc

Hi

I have just found out that I am pregnant again following a miscariage 9 weeks ago. I have had 2 mc as well as a successful pregnancy (my dd is now 2yrs old).

I am just really looking for any support or advice that anyone may be able to offer. I want to be excited and happy but I really feel that my past experiences have totally taken the shine off this pregnancy. I don't want to get my hopes up but at the same time I can do nothing else but think about it. I keep wondering about every twinge I get and worry about every twinge I dont get.

I'm really not sure if I should be trying to take it easy (difficult with a toddler)!! or if I should just carry on as normal. I like to go out running but haven't been since getting my BFP. Got a doctors appointment next week so no doubt she will answer the million and one questions that I have.

Have any of you ladies experienced mc? if so did you opt for an early scan? I'm not sure if it something that would even be offered to me but I'm not sure what I would do if it were. I had a scan at 10 weeks before finding out that my baby had stopped growing at 8.5 wks. It was heartbreaking and i'm not sure I could go throught that again. I feel ill at the thought of even attending a 12 week scan, although I know I will have to. If I do choose to have an early scan I know it can be too early to see anything and would have to go back at a later date. Maybe I should just wait out until 12 weeks and assume that as long everything is ticking along that the baby is all fine.

So sorry to go on, but I had to get that off my chest as it is all I can think about at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed

xxx

Replies

• hey huni, congrats on your pregnancy,, i had a mc with my first pregnancy nov 09...i went for a routien 12wk scan where they couldnt find my babys heartbeat and had died at 8.5 weeks. i too became pregnant quickly after roughly 5 weeks later. i was petrified throughout my whole pregnacy , yes i did have a early scan at 6weeks as i had a bleed all was ok. however idf had a early scan 2wiv my mc baby so i was kinda like everything was fine then too n i just kept thinkin sumit would go rong . i went for my 12 wk scan, my heart beating like crazy... but there she was wringing around on screen i was so happy but i still worried every day.. then at 17 weeks i began to bleed ... as you can imagion i feared the worse , after hours of test s n examinations i got a scan . she was fine but i had a large haematoma the 2nd i had inn the pregnancy which eventully disapeared at 29 weeks. she was then born at 36+1 last august ..small but healthy.i know its hard not to worry but try to relax . it is hard after a mc because like you said it takes the shine off it because you jus think the worse. i hope this has helped xxx when are you due?
  • Hi Shrewpin, firstly I'm sorry you have had 2mc's, it's a terrible thing to go through. Before this current PG I had 3 mc's in a row, one almost exactly like yours but at 11w and I too was terrified each time I got PG again. This PG though all has been going well and I am due to deliver in 10 days! With 3mc's behind me I did have a lot of tests done so they could figure out what was going on with me but saying that I have maintained this PG with minimal intervention so don't feel there could be something wrong with you, that is most likely not the case.

Everything you are feeling is normal and I, like you, tried to take it as easy as I could throughout and I was a runner too running between 3.5 and 5 miles every other day, I gave that up when I found out I was PG this time, but will pick it up again after I have her now. I can't really offer any advice re scanning as I think everyone is different, for me I wanted to know sooner than later that everything was not ok if that makes sense, I didn't want to continue oblivious if something was wrong so I did several early scans, one at 6w where they saw the HB and another just before 12w, which was terrifying for me as I had done the same previously and that's when I found out I had lost it at 11w. This time all was ok, I then have had regular scans throughout my PG and they have gotten easier each time I have gone but that really didn't happen for me until I was well into the 20+ weeks. I still worry now if I don't feel her kicking or moving for a while and given what we have been through I will guess that you will be the same. For me it has become slightly easier the more I have progressed but my naivety about PG was stolen from me before this started so it has been difficult to not think the worst.

My previous mc's I also had early scans and serial HCG levels run, I decided though for this current PG I didn't want the HCG done as all it did before was tell me I was about to MC and there was nothing that could be done about it but I did have the scans this time to make sure all was well.

I wish you lots of luck with this PG and I hope your scan goes well whenever you decide to have it!

BoB. 37+1
  • Hey congratulations! Im similar to you, I had a MC just over 7 weeks ago. I found out I was pregnant again a week ago and to be honest I felt sick when I found out. This was because I was scared I was going to have another. I had a MMC before my little boy (who is now 21 months old). After my MMC I had a hospital scan early and then paid for a private scan at 13 weeks for reassurance. I want an early scan this time which I probably will pay for and ask for a hospital scan at 13 weeks. It makes you feel better if you know everything is ok. Whatever makes you feel better then I would do it. Take care hun and hope we both have sticky ones. x
  • hi shrewpin

again , very similar story and concerns as me . I found at my 12 wk scan in jan that baby had gone at around 7 weeks. I found out I was pg early may and am nearly 7 weeks pg..

I asked my dr about an early scan and she advised me against it as she said it wouldn't stop it from happening before 12 weeks. I explained my fears of going to 12 week scan and it happening again but she said it was best I had a normal dating scan around that time.

I also have an active two year old so all I am doing til scan date is trying my best to take it easy. I am relying on my pg symptoms to reassure me that I still am pg! So far so good ..it's up to u if u want early scan . At 6 weeks I was told it would be Internal which I didn't like the sound of. For me, a scan at any stage would stress me out so I decided I might as well just wait for the dating scan and just hope for the best. Obv if I spot any signs I will ask to be referred immed but til then I'm going to just wait!! Virtually impossible to take it easy but at least the time goes quicker with a toddler in tow.

It really is a personal decision but thought to share my views. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and plz try not to worry too much .

Sb. Xxxx
  • Hi everyone

Thanks so much for your kind replies and advice. I am still feeling worried and anxious but I guess that nothing is going to change how I'm feeling. I just feel that the joy of this pregnancy has been stolen by my previous 2 mc.

It feels like such a long time to wait to the 12 week point and a dating scan and until I have been through that I won't be able to relax at all.

Im only about 4.5 weeks now and not really experiencing many symptoms. I know it's still quite early and there is plently of time for morning sickness ect but its just another thing to worry about.

Going to inform my doctor next week, it probably sounds stupid but I want to make it all official just incase the worst happens again.

Thanks again for all your kindness xxx