Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has a Dr from the ER tell you that you had a miscarriage and you feel you didnt?

Hi, My last period was on April 16th on May 13th I was expecting my period but it never came. Instead I got a teardrop of blood and nothing after. I waited 4 days later and took a HPT and it came out positive. A day later I went pee and noticed when i wiped there was reddish brown blood on the paper. I got really nervous and started feeling a cramping sensation on my lower right side of my pelvic area. I went to the ER and they told me that my progesterone was normal and my HCG was very low @ 150. She told me I either miscarried already or theres a slight chance im too early in pregnancy to find out. She told me to wait a week but its been the most longest week of my life. I have a little girl whos now 5 and my husband and I have been trying for awhile now. The pain i had went away that night at the hospital and it never returned. Ive gone pee lots of times since then and noticed there hasnt been any blood or tissue present. I did have a transvaginal ultrasound at the er and they couldnt detect any type of growth as for where the baby would be. has anyone experienced this before>? has anyone had 150 for hcg and then it started to double? were u ever told u lost it when u feel u didnt? please let me know as my mind is full of questions and my heart full of fustration. thanks. :?

Replies

• Hi MizzReyes, I think it was a little premature of the doctor to talk about mc with you as really without doing a follow-up HCG 48hrs later they cannot tell if your HCG is doubling so one reading of 150 tells you nothing other than you are PG. The TV ultrasound at around 4w will also not show much at all but once you are past the 6w mark they will most likely see a heart beat with a TV ultrasound. As you have had very little bleeding all could be well.

I had 3 bleeds during this PG, and that was after 3 mc's and I was convinced I would lose this PG too but I am now due to deliver in 10 days. My advice to you would be to do another hpt and make sure it is +ve then see if the epu can schedule you for an early scan when you are just past 6w to check that all is progressing as it should. Explain to them the situation and be persistent!

You may want to take a look at some of the stories on this website, they helped me when I was going through my mc's and gave me hope: http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

BoB.
  • Thank you for the website! I did think it was awkward Im considering going to a different hospital. The doctor didnt seem to be very knowledgable about her diagnosis and she even prescribed paid meds that are harmful to the pregnancy..a pharmasist told me to not take them until im positive im not pregnant anymore. I wish u the best of luck with ur delivery! congrats! image
  • i work in an emergency department and we refer on so the bloods can be repeated, less than 5 is none pregnant level so yes definately get a second opinion. x
  • I would have thought that as you are so early on they would at the very least have referred you further tests in another couple of weeks or so. Surely if your AF was due mid May you'd only be approx 5-6wks into term so your HCG levels would still be growing and the chances of you finding anything on a scan screen are slim as your faetus would be so tiny (mine was only a dot on the screen at 8wks). Talk to your GP and insist on a referral to gynaecology/early pregnancy unit for check up tests. Best wishes and good luck.
  • I know how you feel I want for a scan almost 2 weeks ago after very light bleeding and was told it was to early to tell and was given an appointment for this coming Wednesday which was too weeks. Just after that I had a heavier bleed but only for 2 days and not as much as a period and had no pain whatsoever I went to my gp and was told it was a mc with no tests or even an examination! I'm going for my scan on Wednesday but trying not to keep my hopes up too much ad I've been told I lost the baby. But as people do bleed during pg and go on to have healthly babies I can't see how they can say for sure without doing any tests?