Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

symphysis pubis dysfunction - i cant take anymore and no one will help

ladies please help

i have been diagnosed with symphysis pubis dysfunction and have been really sore for the past fortnight but its getting increasingly constant and intolerable pain. I went for my 38 + 2 midwife appointment today and she explained that the babys head is on the rim of my pelvis and has been for the past two weeks, she says that the pain is unlikely to subside any until the head engages and even then she cant guarantee any relief. My baby has been measuring 2 weeks and a few days bigger since week 28 and now is measuring term. Im terrified now of going over my due date as this baby is just getting bigger and bigger, its not engaged and my pelvis is split .... can u imagine what birth will be like if they allow me to go 12 days over? what do i do? i genuinely cant deal with this anymore never mind for another 3 and a half weeks ................... please help (sorry for posting here but dij is so so quiet) and im deperate.

Replies

• Try using a hot water bottle to relieve some of the discomfort. If you are measuring big and baby hasn't engaged ask to be referred to delivery suite for scan/examination to make sure baby is actually able to engage (with my sister carrying my nephew, his head was too large and never engaged, she wound up having c-sec at 10 days overdue and he arrived 11lbs 6). I'm not intending to scare you with that (my mother also had to have c-secs with me and sis as she has a male pelvis and would never have got us through). Be insistant with your concerns and hopefully you'll get some results (even if it's only being induced early).
  • I have been suffering with SPD since I was 24 weeks pregannt it so bad now Im on crutches so I feel your pain, I have been seeing a physio but the onlt thing that helps is resting. Put an ice pack on your pelvis and when you get up do pelvic excercises so it draws your pelvis up. Unfortuantely nothing helps and Im in constant pain now and I still have 10 weeks to go.

Hope your baby comes soon image
  • I also feel your pain. This is my 3rd and I have had SPD with all of the pregnancies. I have had it since 18weeks this time and like Willowbaby I am on crutches. Have you seen a physio to get crutches as they do help. Also have you asked the midwife to get you to see a consultant? They can sort out pain relief and a birth plan for you. I was induced at 38weeks for both of my ds and they have already planned my induction for 38weeks for this one as they know the pain is too great for me to go to term. I will be 30 weeks tomrrow so still 8 weeks to go.

Have ou been taking any pain relief? I know it doesn't take it away but can help it. I have been prescribed co-codamol wihch I only take at night so that I can get a little bit of sleep - I took it with both of my other pregnanices and never had any complications.

I would persist and get someone to see you whether it is through MW, GP or speaking to hospital you need ot pester them to get thme to take you seriously.

I hope you feel better soon and get some rest and relief - Hopefully baby will come soon
  • i agree with the others definatly push for some help and physio. i ended up on morphine for the pain (from about 32 weeks) and crutches (from 14 weeks) and wasnt allowed to go over 40 weeks (had sweep at 39 weeks and gave birth the next day)

hope gp can give you some pain relife x