Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Blood test before 28 week anti D...

Hi ladies image

I was given a blood test form from my MW at my 24 week app, she told me i need to have the blood test done at least 3 days before my Anti D injection, so i went yesterday and have my jab on Friday, dead on 28 weeks.

I was just wondering what the blood test looked for?

Only because i had a call from my doctors surgery an hour ago saying my blood test results had come back and the doctor needs to see me before Friday, so i am getting a phone call app tomorrow morning then if the doc needs me to go in then it will be arranged, i'm now just worrying a little as to what has come back :?

Has anyone else had this before their Anti D?

Replies

• hello

the 28 week bloods are routine ones to check iron levels and if you are having the anti d it is a test for antibodies, it doesnt stop you having the jab, i was told to have it 3 days before but the unit said it didnt matter as they never got the results anyway x

it may be that your iron levels are low?
  • Hi there!

The reason that you should have the blood taken before your anti d injection at 28weeks is that one of the blood tests checks for antibodies. Anit d is an antibody which can occur naturally (but is not desiable at high levels) and so they want to make sure that if it is detected it is not due to you having an injection of it prior to your blood being taken.

The blood tests at 28weeks check your blood group and antibodies and your full blood count which is mainly to see what your haemoglobin (iron levels) are up to, amongst other things. I would think the most likely reason for wanting to see you is that you could be anaemic and may require iron supplements.

HTH

• Hi I'm only 7 weeks just new to all this? What is anti d and does everyone need it?never heard of it before
  • hi Nicibaby1

not everyone needs anti d shots it if you are a neg blood type like i'm o neg and my partner is a b pos so i've alway had to have them when pregnant. even if your a neg blood type you may not need them i would talk to your mw so you have a better understanding of it all image
  • Found out i am anaemic, been given pregaday image

Feeling a little more energetic now!

Had my anti D, it hurt but all worth it image

Whats the difference with the dose given?

xx