Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

caster oil

Replies

• havent tried it but the midwives are now recommending not using it as it can dehydrate you during the birth. our midwife was telling us about a girl who had the runs so bad she was poorly and so was the baby and the birth was awful!

other people might have more positive stories but I would worry about anything that could dehydrate bubs!

cx
  • It can cause fetal distress and the baby to open its bowels in the womb leading to infection.

There are things to try such as labour cake, yum yum
  • What's labour cake?! Those two words don't look right next to each other! X
  • its what i thought, im scared to try it.

whats labour cake?
  • Well i have the pregly app on my phone its american, they all make this really rich chocolate cake, that they all swear by. O and drinking cinnamon tea and cumin tea
  • I did actually take some with my 3rd child as I had to be induced with my 1st at 14 days overdue and the 2nd was 11 days late. I desperately wanted a home water birth so after trying everything else(pineapple,curries, accupuncture, reflexology, sex etc)and doing a lot of research looking at the pros and cons I took 1 teaspoon (less than most people). It did empty me out but wasn't too bad and I went into labour the next day and had my dd 3 days late.

However, I don't believe that it would work if you took it before baby was ready to come out ie much before your due date which is when it could cause distress to baby.

Also, having tried to get some in Tescos, Boots and Asda for this pregnancy my husband was told that they don't sell it anymore!! It may be available in other pharmacies and you can buy it online.