Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Missing work for morning sickness or not? Overriding guilt!

Hello

I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and have had the most horrendous nausea/vomiting for the last 3 weeks. If it was just the nausea and sickness I could cope, but I'm so dizzy and exhausted all the time - to the point where I struggle to do everyday things, like even take a shower. I have also been crying everyday, over the stupidest things. This isn't like me at all, and I feel so isolated and out of my depth.

I'm a teacher, and have coped so far as have been on school holidays, but I'm supposed to be going back to work in 4 days. At the moment, I'm either in bed or hugging the toilet, so I don't know what to do about work. It's the start of the school year, so my employer would never forgive me for missing the start of term. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Hmmm, it's so difficult but you have to put your own health first. If you feel like s**t and you're body is screaming at you to rest then that's exactly what you should do.

I'm assuming your employer doesn't yet know you're pregnant? I was in a similar state to you in the early days with my DD and my GP was amazing. He put 'severe gastroenteritis' on a sick note and signed me off for two weeks. After I had told work he just put 'pregnancy related' and they couldn't argue about it.

Once they know you're pregnant it all gets a bit easier because they can't be annoyed with you for being off sick - well they can but not overtly. Maybe you should tell your Head, you might find they're more understanding than you think.

Good luck and look after yourself!

Mrs B xxx
  • Mrs B,

Thanks for your reply. My Head has been unaccepting and unaccommodating of my colleagues who have previously been pregnant, which makes me even more scared to tell him! But maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it.

That's good that your GP put down that you had gastroenteritis. I didn't know they could do that.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm in such a rut at the moment! image
  • I would speak to your doctor first before you tell work. Maybe they can buy you some more time.

I had bad morning sickness and vomiting every day from 5-12 weeks but no dizzyness so I managed to still go to work. But teaching a class is different to sitting behind a desk!

I feel for you xxx
  • Aggghhh! The guilt that goes hand in hand with teaching (that prepares you nicely for motherhood by the way!). I was a teacher when I had my DD last year (now a SAHM) and I got my BFP at the beginning of the summer hols. I was booked an early scan something like 2 days into the new term but just called in sick - I figured some things were more important. Then, at the beginning of Oct I was really struggling with tiredness and literally could not do anything, let alone teach 4 or 5 lessons a day so I got signed off for 2 weeks. Some things are just more important. It's simply not a job that you can do when you aren't functioning on maximum capacity and dragging yourself in won't do you, the baby or your students any favours. I would make an appt to see the GP and get signed off (or maybe get anti sickness meds if they are an option?).

K x
  • Thanks foxinsocksandbump2 and KayeCee_And_Co. It's reassuring to know I'm not alone!

If it was just the nausea, I could cope but it's the overwhelming exhaustion, dizziness and crying that I'm really struggling. I'm not sure I can impose that upon my class of 4yr olds.

I've decided to go to my GP tomorrow and tell them exactly how I'm feeling and see what they recommend. I've been desperately trying not to take any meds while I'm PG but will see what doc says. Thanks for your help x
  • Just been to the doctor. She's given me anti-sickness pills, and I'm having a blood test tomorrow to find out why I'm so exhausted all the time. She said I need to give myself a week off work, then if I need more time she can write me a sick-note. Does that sound about right?

A x
  • Hope the med start working. Could be that your iron levels are low already which might explain the fatigue. You can self certificate for the first seven days so if you need longer make sure you need go back x
  • I think i meant self certify!
  • You poor thing. You've definitely done the right thing in going to your GP. I had terrible sickness with my second pregnancy and ended up in hospital on a drip. The meds should help and at least you can now just rest if you feel tired. Lots of sleep/rest and eating/drinking little and often should also help. Take it easy and don't feel guilty!

Xx
  • Thank you both. This is my first baby so I just don't know what's normal and what isn't! Thank you for your support x
  • Glad you've been to Dr's.

Rest lots and take care of yourself - if your body tells you to sleep, then sleep.

Mrs B xxx
  • Like all the others have said, you have to put you & your baby first. I'm a teacher too (back on Thursday, eeeek!), and know all about unsympathetic senior management, but you get to a point where you just think "sod it!". At least with rarely cover your colleagues won't be teaching your lessons! Supposedly...! Glad you've been to the dr, hope the meds help, sure they will.

Take care & don't worry about getting back - there will be no thanks if you do (if it's anything like my school!),

Xx
  • Ruth - you are SO right! I'm gutted to be missing the first week with my new class, but I know I wouldn't be in a fit state to care for them if I was in school. I know my Head will make snide remarks about my absence when I get back, but hey ho!

Are you pregnant or already a mummy? If already a mummy did you go back to work part time after the baby? x
  • I'm both image I have a 17 month old son & am 13 weeks pg. I went back 3-days a week, I love being a mummy but couldn't be a SAHM - I missed teaching and having 'something else' as well as my son.

Are you thinking about going part time?

• Ah right. Yes I'm thinking about going back part time. The propblem is I'm on a temporary contract at the moment which is supposed to finish at Christmas. The person I'm replacing isn't coming back so I'm hoping my head will make my contract perm, or at least extend it, but I very much doubt that will happen if he finds out I'm pregnant...
  • Hmmm, not sure about that one. Know it's totally illegal for them to do that because you're pg but if it's a temp contract I'm not sure. Definitely one to speak to your union/union rep about.

Buggers aren't they?!

I'm back the day after tomo, feel like I'm approaching the edge of a plank!!

• Hello. I wish I could have more support during my pg. My parents in law and my partner are telling me that I should move more. I feel like this because I am only sitting and lying- this is what they are saying to me. In fact I don't have strenth to do so. Even if I stand for longer I feel like I am about to faint. Why they don't understand me. I am crying when no one sees me. I don't know what for. I feel sick for most of the day. Today I vomited 3 times. 

And the doctor? She said it is normal. And she couldn't give me any doctor's note, she told me that I should pay for it if I want it. Is it true? I don't know how it works in England. I am from Poland. And I feel so lost. 

And I am working in packhouse where they don't pay for sick (they pay only if I hold a doctor's certificate) and I can't work there because we finish when the order is finished and sometimes it is 8-12 hours (the shift is 6 days working then 3 days off). I won't have money and I feel desperated. I should work tomorrow but I don't feel like I can. And everyday that I am not at work when I supposed to be I have to call. So I wake myself up everyday to call that I feel sick. Because they accept only calls made until 8:30.