Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

are second babies always bigger?

Obviously it depends on when they come but if they arrive similar times....are second/third babies usually bigger?

If so does anyone know how much on average by?

DS was born 41+0 and 7lb 10oz......

32+5

Replies

• Options
    no idea,

im hoping 2nd will be similar as my first was only 6lbs 6oz
  • Options
    Hi, this is a question I have asked many a time as DD was 41+1 when she eventually arrived weighing 9lbs. The general response I get from the 'professionals' is 'NO', the exception being if you are diabetic at which point for some reason babies seem to gain slightly extra weight each time. The one thing they have said about 2nd babies is they (in theory) should be easier and faster deliveries as your body already knows what to do (alas I still have a few more days left to actually prove these correct).
  • Options
    g/c... there's no hard and fast rule, but in general with healthy pregnancies second is likley to be bigger than first as they have more room etc... my ds was 6lb12, and my dd was 8lb4... x
  • Options
    hi,

my first was 9lb 12 at 42 weeks, 2nd was 8lb 13 at 40 weeks, so think they would have been a similar weight if i'd have gone overdue again. image
  • Options
    Hi, my first was born at 40+3 and was 7lb 11oz. My second was born at 40+6 and was 7lb 7oz. I am now pregnant with my third so hoping for a similar weight but I hope I'm not anymore overdue!!!!! x
  • Options
    my first was born at 38+6 and was 7lbs 5oz and my second at 40+2 and was 7lbs 14oz
  • Options
    My first was born at 38+6 weighing 7lb 2oz, my second 39+2 weighing 7lb 8oz and my 3rd was born at 39+2 and weighed 7lb exactly. So although my second was heavier, my 3rd was smaller! x
  • Options
    my first was 8lb 7.5oz at 39+3 and 2nd was 8lb 9oz at 39 weeks and were boith girls xx