Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Am I allowed a lunch hour when I go for appointments?

I work 8 - 5 and have an unpaid hour at lunch. When I go for appointments am I still allowed a lunch hour? My next appointment in a few weeks is at 10.30am so I'll leave at 10am and be back before I would take my lunch so would I then be entitled to go for an hour at lunch? My next scan is at 2.30, would it be feasible to leave at 1 to have my lunch then go to the scan and prob go back to work if there's enough time afterwards?

I'm pretty sure I am but my line manager is a cow and I want to get my facts correct before she has a go at me. Also because I work on reception she has said that whoever is covering has to actually sit on reception as opposed to just having the calls diverted to them so I dont want to be asking people to keep sitting at my desk if I'm not entitled to!

Replies

• Ohh your appointment shouldn't affect your entitlement to anything else. Time off for appts is classed as normal working hours and is paid by law, so yes you'd still be entitled to an unpaid lunch break. It's different for antenatal classes (i.e. not medical midwife appts) as most companies don't give paid time off for them. I'm taking flexi time for mine as they're during the day here. I'm lucky I can pretty much do what i want here though, and so after this afternoon's mw I'm just going to work from home.
  • I believe that you are entitled to paid time off for maternity appointment, but check the direct gov website for sure.

I have diabetes so have to go to the hospital every two weeks, I always aim to be there for 8.30 and try to get seen as quickly as possible but some days the doctors don't turn up til nearly 9.30 so soemtimes I don't get to work til mid morning. Yesterday had a scan and didn't get to work til 11.30 but still popped out at lunchtime. I also elave on wednesdays 15 minutes early to pick my son up but I still did that and nothing was said! I think my bosses are cool so long as my work gets done and I don't take the p***.

I did have a physio appointment and midwife appointment on Monday and took a half day. My boss told me I didn't need to for the midwife appointment but I said I was grateful they were giving me so much time off for other appointments.

Your boss needs to be careful because if you're made to feel uncomfortable you could sue!
  • You are entitled to have leave for antenatal appointments. Do you have an HR department? Ask them to clarify this and if your boss gets stroppy ask her to refer to HR image If not, print off the page from direct.gov website and wave it in her mardy old face image
  • Thanks girls. She's actually the HR adviser so she should know my rights but I can imagine her being difficult wherever she can. She wasnt too pleased when I told her I was pregnant because there are already 2 ladies on maternity.
  • Yes ACAS will confirm it for you too so you can always ring and ask for the relevant piece of legislation so you can quote it back at her!