Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

antibiotics whilst pregnant!?

I really need some advise!

Have been unwell for afew days and finally went to the doctors this morning were i have been told i have an upper airways infection.

My doctor is aware im pregnant (27wks) and has prescribed me erythromycin tablets to be taken four times a day. Have just read the instructions and it says 'Erythromycin has been reported to cross the placental barrier'

What does this mean???

I have decided to hold off taking my antibiotics until i am sure i am not putting my baby at risk although i realise i am therefore risking a full blown chest infection!!

What do you think ladies?? am confused :?

x x x

Replies

• Iv had antibiotics three times since iv been pregnant this time (and ironically cant remember the last time i had to take them when not pregnant)

The first time was just before i realised i was pregnant and i was precribed Amoxicillin, when i went back the following week to tell Dr i was pregnant she assured me that these antibiotics were safe.

When i was 27 weeks i became ill with a severe ear infection which resulted in me being rushed to hospital with dehydration and was admitted to the maternity ward for two nights and endless bags of saline and again i was prescribed Amoxicillan and when these still didnt clear up the infection i was prescribed another course.

Could you perhaps ring the chemist and ask them to explain the risk or see if the Dr will prescribe you a different type?

If you have an infection you will need something to clear it up.

xxx
  • I would imagine that erythromycin is okay to take during pregnancy, I was given it for mastitis when breastfeeding and they said it was one of the 'okay' ones to take whilst breastfeeding where it would have passed through my milk to my daughter.

I'd imagine they'd be careful with what they gave you if they know you're pregnant. If you're really worried then call NHS direct and double check x
  • If your dr has prescribed them & he knows you're pg then I am sure they are fine but if you are at all worried phone a pharmacy & speak to the pharmacist. They are much easier to get hold of than a dr! Then if needs be you could speak to the drs receptionist about picking up a different prescription.

Xxx