Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Flu jab!

Hey ladies!

My second baby is due in Feb. Do I need to be having the fu jab? Not heard a thing about swine flu or pregnant women needing the jab for a while so not sure. My MW hasnt mentioned anything either and not seeing her again till Nov time in about 3 week! Not sure wether to risk not having it until I see her or to get it done ASAP by phoning the Drs this week. Also, already thinking I may be a little bit poorly. Have been sneezing all day and just generally feeling a bit crap and have been told you can't have the jab if your already ill.

Just a bit worried and confused by it all!

xx

Replies

• Hi,

I posted a similiar thread in DIN on Thursday just before I had my first flu jab at 35 weeks! I was pretty nervous as I'd read and heard all the horror stories about getting so sick afterwards(and so have stupidly ignored my doctors reminders these last few years, and I'm asthmatic!) but believe me it was nothing like that..my midwife had hers done a few days before and they recommended all pregnant woman have it. It doesn't contain a live virus so people who get sick are normally coming down with a bug, just unfortunately at the same time. It took 5 secs, didn't hurt and the only side effect was a slightly bruised feeling for the next few days... I would really recommend getting it done as it also protects your baby for up to 6

months and that has to be a good thing image

If you have a cold or are ill you advised to wait until you are fully recovered before you have the jab too...

Good luck Em xx
  • Hi

The government are actively encouraging pregnant women to have the jab as getting swine flu or normal flu whilst your pregnant can cause problems!

I received a letter from my gp informing me to have the jab, which I did last week! I had no I'll effects except a slight ache in my arm in the evening!

Not only does it help protect us from flu but our babies too - surely that's worth having it! I had flu last winter and it was horrendous!

Take care x x
  • i have the flu jab every year because I'm diabetic and finds it helps me avoid too many colds - I'm very susceptible. I wasn't allowed it with my first pregnancy 3 years ago and got every cold going. Now 25 weeks and had mine last week, am so pleased I had it as it is hard enough to be pregnant with a busy toddler and a medical condition without a cold on top of it!

I received a letter from my GP, so might be worth calling your surgery and asking if they are doing them and getting booked in quickly, my surgery has run out in the past.

As the others said it's very quick and just a bit sore for a few days but definitely worth it in my mind!
  • Thanks for your replies

I rang this morning and got an appointment to have the jab tomorrow. Have been reading conflicting information on the net all morning so still in 2 minds wether to go for it or not. I wish I didn't have to make this decision!

xx
  • Hello,

I have the flu jab every year because i work for the NHS.

Just had my jab last week and apart from a sore arm i have had no side effects, its best to get vaccinated and as ur pregnant ur doctors should send for you!

E image
  • Yup, pg women are advised to get it.despite this, many surgeries don't send out letters to pg women advising them to have the jab like they do to people in other at risk groups like asthmatics. However you will still be able to book in & get one xx