Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

New

Hiya

I just wanted to post here to say I joined up today and need some support. I have 4 positive pregnancy tests sitting in front of me and I can't quite believe it...

We got married in June and this is definitely a good thing, but we weren't trying so we are both in shock! Happy shock!

I have no idea what I should be doing...can anyone help me?!

Thanks

Replies

• Hello,

Congratulations!

I totally know what you mean, it is such a big shock, even if you were trying!

There's not a lot you should be doing really. Start taking your folic acid if you weren't already. Go and see your dr so you can be referred to the midwife.

check out the list of foods you need to avoid, and other than that just take it easy!

Do you know how far along you are? Basically that is the number of weeks since the 1st day of your last period.
  • Hi, huge congratulations. Your first steps will be to see your GP who will confirm your estimated due date and refer you to the community midwives. The GP will be able to give you a prescription for folic acid and the midwife should then contact you between 6-10wks into your pregnancy. Once this is done everything else normally falls into place. Best wishes and hope you have a happy, healthy 9mths.
  • Hi ladies

Thanks so much for your reply. I went to my gp this morning and I feel quite deflated. Its 4.5 weeks since my last period but I think I am 2.5 weeks gone...she told me to do another test in 4 weeks and IF it is still positive then I can go back. Talked a lot about miscarriages etc. Feeling gutted now.

• Oh Mummy_Bez please don't let her comments put you on a downer... you're pregnant; congratulations!!!

I suppose the GP has to be cautious and unfortunately miscarriage does happen, but I would have felt exactly like you if my GP had said all those things to me (mine was a bit more positive and kind of said every day that goes by without any problems is another step closer to a healthy pregnancy!).

I know what you mean about it being a shock! We were trying but it was our first month and I had absolutely no expectations of it actually happnening! :lol: We both sat and stared at the test as it developed and looked at each other with that 's*** - it's positive!!!!' look image

But it's really really exciting!

Edited to say, if your first day of your last period was 4.5 weeks ago then you're officially 4.5 weeks pregnant (even though you only actually concieved 2.5 weeks ago) that's just how they count it. I was 4.5 weeks when I found out too.
  • That is a very negative attitude by your dr. If I were you when you do go back I would try and see someone else!

And i wouldn't say you have to wait another 4 weeks, I saw my dr when I was 6 weeks and the midwife usually sees you at around 8 weeks.

By the way has anyone else had their folic acid on prescription? The dr and midwife just asked if I was taking it but didn't offer me a prescription, even though my mum had a stillborn baby with spinal bifida!
  • yes i am taking folic acid but i bought it myself. thanks for the support ladies, i am pregnant today so that is all that matters. its been so nice sharing with you i literally think i know nothing about pregnancy/babies and am scared...but in a really good way! xxx
  • Congratualtions

what a crappy doctor you saw, I was only 5 weeks when I saw mine and I didn't get any of that I got told expect to feel crap in the first trimester and the third, if you're lucky you'll feel better during the second trimester and was given a referral to a midwife.

kate0311 - I wasn't given a prescription for folic acid, I'd already been taking it for months though so maybe that made a difference. If you want one you could always ask and see what they say.
  • thank you. i think we are all aware of the dangers but i cant live my life in fear image