Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when to give work notice?

the last time i took maternity leave was in 2006 so im really not too sure what im ment to be doing with regards to that? im on a 0 hour contract as i work in community support? and i did inform my work when i was 5 weeks pregnant but have not had a risk assesment or any maternity info? i do keep asking but they dont seem too sure either? i just need to know so i can feel prepared etc, im 18+3, any info would be much appreciated, thanks for reading

Replies

• To qualify for maternity leave & SMP you need to notify your employer 15wks before baby is due so wk25 of your pregnancy (your MW normally provides you with MAT B1 form at 25wk appt for 1st pregnancy or 28wk appt for subsequent). With regards to risk assessment your employer has a legal responsibility to undertake this at your request & you are entitled to refuse to do anything that you feel puts yourself/unborn baby at risk.
  • The direct gov website is helpful for things like this.
  • You need to tell your work by 25 weeks pregnant....hope that helps
  • According to my knowledge pregnant employees have the right to take pregnancy leave of up to 17 weeks of unpaid time off work. In some cases the leave may be longer. Parental leave is not part of pregnancy leave and so a birth mother may take both pregnancy and parental leave. Employers do not have to pay wages to someone who is on pregnancy leave.