Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

EXercise and healthy eating anyone?

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering what your thoughts/ plans are about general exercise and eating habits now you are pregnant? I am hoping to keep regularly exercising - walking/ jogging and weights, as much as possible, morning sickness/ tiredness permitting!!! Whilst ttc I was doing higher intensity running and interval running, so am going to take it down a notch, but it sounds like regular exercise can be beneficial to the labour! Eeek! Need all the help I can get, ha ha!

In terms of eating, I am going to try and eat lots of fresh fruit and veg, and healthy snacks as I seem to be hungry ... Alot! Trying to cut down on junk food!

Replies

• Hello,

I am in very early pregnancy - I think you sound similar to me. Into high intensity stuff, want to carry on but at a lower level.

Wellll that was my plan. I tried to do a Zumba dance class on Friday and almost passed out - even though I was doing it at about 60% my normal effort. I have just been for a 3 miles walk - my normal running route - I don't think I could run if a wild animal was after me.

I think I am going to have rethink my plan slightly...I am so tired and what would normally be literally a walk in the park for me, leaves me completely wiped. I normally swim once a week but I am going to up that to two or three times, plus walk instead of run. Oh and I do want to dance at least once a week still - but I think my normal 3 times a week of zumba and hip-hop might need to be ballet or something a bit less sweaty.

Healthy eating - I get my organic fruit/veg box delivered every week so I am going to keep doing that. I have tried to be good but I have developed such a sweet tooth - I have succumbed to the odd cadbury's caramel!!! If I am hungry I snack of fruit - banana, apple, blueberries etc or have some carrot sticks/mini tomatoes. I am sure this won't last - if presented with bar of chocolate I would be powerless!

PP X
  • My horses and dog are the only exercise I am getting and thats enough, I haven't got the energy for much else. I would like to swim but its a 30 mile round trip so unless im going to town anyway its not really feasable.

I am trying to eat healthly but for the 1st 14 weeks I felt so sick that I just ate what I fancied and could stomach x
  • Hi, Im 22 weeks pregnant and before i found out i was pg i did alot of high intensity exercise such as running, gym and classes such as body combat, body pump etc. I felt so tired and quite queasy in the first trimester, so although i intended on keeping up my gym i only managed to go get myself there about 1-2 times per week and did very low intensity stuff. Now im in my second trimester i feel much more better and have more energy, but am still only managing to get down the gym once a week. I do also do alot of dog walking aswell.

I have been eating quite healthily, but im not denying myself any treats if i crave them...although in general im finding im craving healthy foods such as spinach and brocoli.
  • I had always said I'd keep my gym and running up when preg but since 6 weeks I've been so nauseous that rather than heading to the gym on my way home from work I'm having to rush home to eat dinner to prevent retching. Then after dinner I'm so bloated or get heartburn that jumping around would be unbearable ;-(. I've been keeping my fruit up but have gone off veg unfortunately. I'm hoping in a few weeks the nausea will go and I'll get my energy back to hit the gym once again. Although I'm dreading how unfit I'll be, am feeling breathless just climbing the stairs just now! Don't think I'll manage my usual high impact circuits now though as too much bounding and burpees etc which I don't think would be good for baby. Would prob also make me dizzy!
  • i did zumba until i was 38 weeks pregnant! i felt my recovery was much better after that than my couch potato first pregnancy
  • First time round I kept fit all the way through, I ran (at low intensity) until 18 weeks, then kept up the gym, walking and swimming until DD was born.

This time I had horrible morning sickness and did very little for 8 weeks. I'm just getting back to gym now, trying to get there 3 times a week. I'm sure it helped last time, so I really want to try and be consistent.

Eating hasn't been too bad now that I can face food other than plain pasta/toast! I make sure I get my five a day as a minimum and get a balance with the rest.
  • i was a runner pre-pregnancy too as well as doing pilates and belly dance. i stopped all that when i conceived and slowed down to just power walking and pregnancy yoga. the first weeks were really hard and i didnt do much due to morning sickness and extreme tiredness but after my first trimester i got back into it and usually went for a 1 hour power walk twice a week plus the yoga once a week. i did this till the very end. i actually went for my last power walk on the morning i went into labour, 2 days past my due date. im really glad i maintained my exercise too. besides a bump i barely gained any weight and felt quite good and energetic throughout and 5 weeks after i gave birth i was in my normal jeans. in terms of eating, i pretty much continued with what i usually eat which is fairly healthy anyways. hope to do the same with my next pregnancy although well see how that goes with a toddler around image
  • hiya

I ran up to 25 weeks with my first pregnancy and did walking and swimming up until 40 weeks. This time around i didn't run but i did a few classes at the gym ( bums and tums), pilates, dance aerobics etc. I did very little in the first trimester this time as i was SOOOOO tired. Second trimester is defintely the easiest!

I'm now 34 weeks with baby no 2. Went to the gym yesterday and did cardio plus squats and lunges. I took regular breaks, drank plenty of water and generally took it easy.

I had a session with a pre and post natal personal trainer which was really useful. she showed me all sorts of low intensity exercises. She said the most important thing was not to let my heart rate go too high and be very careful when stretching. it's also important not to lie on your back. If you need to do stretches, do it on your side.

best advice is to NOT push yourself at any one time and listen to your body. you'll know when it's time to take it down a knotch.

R xx
  • Thanks for your replies ladies. I am only 6 weeks at the moment, and am feeling sick and tired the majority of the time, and have done no exercise atall this week. But i am sure to some extent it is a mind over matter thing, and even getting out for a walk will do me good. Not wanting to get ahead of myself, and if all goes well, i am hoping that i will be less tired and nautious during the second trimester - like some of you have said. Then hopefully i can build my exercise up again.

I can really see the logic in keeping up fitness for the birth etc, so will try and keep that in mind when i am debating whether to move of the sofa and exercise!

• Due to various complications I've been banned from exercise from day one! I'm allowed to do gentle walking now but that's it...but now it looks like I have SPD so even that is out some days :roll:

I felt so sick for the first trimester that I just ate whatever I could face! But since its eased a little around 16 weeks I've been really conscious about eating well and having healthy snacks

xx
  • Littlepinapod I just googled SPD- it sounds very painful and I'm not surprised you aren't able to exercise. You must have to really listen to your body. It sounds like you are healthy eating though which is really good!

I managed a 45minute uphill walk earlier- I have no excuse really as have a treadmill at home! It felt good and I am keen to keep my legs and bum toned to some extent, if poss as feel like my stomach is going to be huge as very early days and already feel so bloated!

I have had a good healthy day today with food- special k for breakfast, tuna baked potato with salad for lunch and snacking on fruit. However, I am now starving and I am finding it hard not to crave carbs! I have always tried to keep my carb intake a bit lower but that is def out of the window! Has anyone had any particular cravings? It was strange when I prepared my baked potato earlier, I don't usually enjoy the smell of tuna, but strangely it was appetising earlier! Random!! X