Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

To holiday or not?

Hello ladies, hope you are all feeling ok.

Advice needed from anyone who is planning a holiday or any second or third time mums!

As this is our first, hubby really wants to go on a last "child free" holiday in January. I'll be about 30 weeks by this point. Think hubby wants to go somewhere long haul so we can get some sunshine, so I guess I'd have to walk about and exercise on the plane.

What do you all think? Good idea or bad? Is anyone else planning a holiday at this point in their pg? Have any of you who are mums already done this?

I'm a low risk pregnancy and would get a fit to fly note from docs.

Any advice appreciated. xx

Replies

• Iam afraid I have no experience, however me and hubby were going to do the same I don't thinking have been as far gone as 30 weeks but we can't now because of hubby's job. But my understanding is u can fly up to 34 weeks I think, but u also must check with ur airline as some have different rules about how far along u r as to if u can fly with them.

I also suppose it depends on how uncomfortable u might b at that stage of pg and whether ul feel up to flying.

Not sure if that's helped, hopefully some of the girls who have gone on hols will b able to help a bit more

X x x
  • Thanks Faye. It's such a tricky one!

Anyone else have any advice? x
  • I flew at 6 months and had no problems. You may need a fit to fly letter from doctor. But airlines do restrict on some flights so best to find out. Xx
  • I'm 6 months and just came back from a week in Disney Florida. The flight would have been ok had it not been for my toddler wanting to move about the whole time. Just remember to wear flight socks and keep hydrated. Same as when you get to destination, I didn't actually find the heat too bad apart from the day I didn't drink as much.

I also flew to the Caribbean when I was 5 months with my first.
  • Thanks Abump and Tinkandpip! Good to hear some positive stories, makes me think my last minute hols might be a possibility image x
  • i went at 31 weeks and came back at 33 weeks to italy. My LO is now 13 weeks old and no regrets - it was so lovely and relaxing and was my last chance to be selfish without a LO. However, the flight was about all i could manage so big, i know you get extra room long haul but i still think you will not feel like a long haul flight when you're so big and tired. Also, healthcare out of europe can be a lot less reliable. I understand in january europe is not as warm as somewhere long haul but honestly i think its probably not a great idea. You might feel like it now, but you're going to grow a lot in the next couple of months and there will be an increased chance of needing medical attention the further into pregnancy that you get. Also the heat could be a real killer!

Im sorry, i can imagine the thought of an exotic holiday is lovely but id definately say go somewhere nice for a rest - even if its in england - and take your notes and know where the nearest maternity unit is x
  • I flew to Spain at 29 weeks for some last minute sunshine with hubby. It was the best thing we ever did. However, I did find the relatively short flight a little uncomfortable. Not only that but the whole airport experience was a lot more tiring than usual. In all honesty I'm not sure I would have wanted to fly long haul. Having flown long haul a few times before I know how uncomfortable and tired I can get at the best of times. A short hop to Spain was about as much as I could handle.

However, as I said it was the best thing we ever did and I don't regret it at all. A lovely relaxing break just the two of us.

All airlines will differ in their requirements for a Fit To Fly letter so check with the airline before booking. I needed one and I was asked for it both on the way out and home again. It was a mission obtaining it from my doctor. I think that is because my surgery is useless generally, but worth bearing in mind and preparing in advance if you need one. I was also charged ??15 for it, which I believe is normal.

Everyone is different, I know, but personally I would not have wanted to fly long haul. The couple of hours I did, however, was fine. Have fun whatever you decide to do! x
  • i'd definately second what angelfish says, my short hall holiday was so lovely - we stayed in a friend's house in rural italy with family and it was lovely - i will always remember it, especially as life changed forever only a few weeks later!

Most of the time we lazed about, swam, read books, etc, we only ventured out to the supermarket! And that was fine by me at that stage of pregnancy. We did go to florence one day, and in all the un air conditioned churches etc the heat was unbarable. I felt exhausted for the next couple of days. But that was all we did really that took any strength! I lived in a maternity swimsuit and white kaftan to keep my bump cool. I drank lots and had short spells in the sun with white kaftan over my tummy, but lots of time sat in the shade.

I was advised of the risks but made sure i took my notes everywhere and i knew where to go if anything happened. I also had good insurance if i developed problems and a NHS card to ensure i got free treatment - although im fairly sure it wouldnt have been a problem in italy. I would not have gone if my pregnancy had turned high risk (I wouldnt have been allowed to fly for a start) and i got a letter from my doctor a week beforehand to show easyjet - although not even sure they would have noticed if i hadnt mentioned it! But definately worth having with you, would be awful if they wouldnt let you on the plane.

Dont want to put you off having a break hun as i think its very important. Just dont be too ambitious. x
  • If you want warm weather, good health care and a short flight I can recommend Tenerife. There are some lovely hotels (don't be put off by the not so nice ones). I used to have to work there frequently and its still warm in January, although the sea isn't as warm but you'll probably not want to budge off sun bed. Lots of lovely restaurants, some exceptional and michelin starred, you just need to explore a bit more.And the healthcare is great too, my old boss was from Tenerife and despite living in Marlybone and being married to a millionaire she still used to travel to Tenerife for her smear, dentist etc as she said they were more caring and efficient.

I think you should do it, holidays are a whole different kettle of fish once you have children, certainly not relaxing - unless you take the grandparents :lol:
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies. Think we will definitely go away but perhaps short haul. Thanks for the Tenerife tip TinkandPip- as I was lying in bed last night wondering where would be warm in January whilst not being too far away :lol:
  • I went to Portugal at 7 months. It was absolutely fine but I wouldn't have managed it any later in my pregnancy. Do check your airlines rules though- I went with Easyjet who insisted that the doctors note be dated within 5 days of the flight, therefore I had to pay ??25 for the note to fly out then I had to pay ???????91 for the note to fly back. And they did ask to see the notes both ways so I wouldn't risk not getting one xx
  • We were planning to go to South Africa in January, when i would be about 30 weeks also. As long as your pregnancy is going well, there is no reason why you can't go on a long flight. Just make sure you get the pregnancy flight socks! We are expecting our first baby, and also just want one more childless holiday image
  • Thanks for the tips Kimmy and Priceyimage

Kimmy, did you have to get a note from a doctor Portugal for the flight back? Was this because easy jet wouldn't accept your outgoing doctors note as valid for the return trip?

Pricey, how long is the flight to SA- I'm wondering if I'll be able to handle a flight that long, but the thought of one more childless holiday is too tempting! :lol:

Where does everyone get your flight socks from? I'm assuming Boots or similar or can you get them from your doctor? xx
  • Yep that's right, I spoke to Easyjet to doublecheck their rules. I was there for a week so I needed 2 notes. We were renting an apartment so I asked the apartment owner for details of the nearest doctor, then I contacted them and made an appointment for a couple of days before I was due to return home

This was 2009, and what's really funny is that at my booking appointment a few weeks back my MW didn't remember me from before, but as soon as I mentioned doctors notes she was like " oh yes, I remember you!"

You can get the flight socks from Boots, I got 2 pairs in a pack and just wore linen trousers on the flight to hide the sexy socks. They are difficult to get on and off though, I warn you now! x
  • I don't have any experience of travelling in pregnancy as I'm expecting my first baby.

But I'm almost 29 weeks and I honestly don't think I could hack a long haul flight. We do a lot of long flights and although I'm usually a pretty good flyer I think it would be very different now. I'm getting quite uncomfortable if I sit or stand still for too long and I think that the confinement of the seat etc would just be too much. It'd take me days to get over it!

I'd definately jump on a plane to tenerife / europe tomorrow if someone offered! :lol: But long haul I would be more worried about.
  • i flew easyjet in june this year, they stipulated my doctor needed to include the dates of outward and return flights, how many weeks id be on both occasions and that my pregnancy was low risk. this meant i only needed one letter, i got it 5 or 6 days beforehand.

tenerife or canaries is a great idea, as still nice weather in jan, although have to say even a 3 hour flight would have been too much for me at 30 weeks. a 3 hour car journey was a struggle and that was without airport transfers etc. even going to italy took the best part of a day, with airports, waiting for hire car, journey to house etc. My legs and feet swelled up and it took a couple of days to get over. x
  • G/C!

I'm currently in New Zealand and flying home to have the baby. We need to be home by 28 weeks as our travel insurance doesn't cover the final 12 weeks of pregnancy so that something worth checking - sure you can get pg insurance but dint count on normal travel insurance being ok.

U don't want to end up somewhere that u need to pay for your birth or any problems (which is why we are coming home as we'd have to pay here!)

Egypt would be warm in Jan and only 5 hours from the uk - think the health care there is good too. Had a friend who got pg while living there, they scanned her every 3 weeks as standard!

Hope u find somewhere that suits and u get some sun x