Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Informing employer you are pregnant! How did it go?

Hi ladies,

Hoping all goes well with my first scan, i intend to inform my employers about my pregnancy in a couple of weeks. I just wanted some advice on whether i should be speaking to HR, then my manager? I did speak to my union a few months ago when we were thinking about TTC, to see what my maternity entitlement would be, as i am on a temporary contract. So they gave me a theoretical answer. Which was good, and from researching and looking on the forum, i think i understand what i should be entitled to.

But, would you advise that i get this clarified by HR before i tell my manager?

I would love to hear your experiences on telling your employers!

Replies

• Options
    Heya Hun

Firstly congratulations!

I spoke to my manager and told him first, then informed HR after my scan.

I don't suppose clarifying with HR then speaking to ur manager or doing it the other way round matter really. It depends on how ud rather do it.

I know my manager well and he knew we were ttc so wanted to tell him before HR but tbh I don't suppose it matters much.

X x x
  • Options
    Hi,

It can be nerve wracking telling your empoyer about your pregnancy. I'm still on mat leave from having my DD, she's 10 months and am pg again with my second. I told my line manager the other day, we're good friends so I knew she would be pleased but I don't plan on telling the store manager until I return in feb. As I work for a large company (Next) they have certain procedures in place and a hr dept specifically for maternity so I know that I won't be mistreated, which can happen alot in smaller companies and they can get away with it and use other excuses to sack people (this has happened to a few of my friends!) personally I'd speak to my manager first, but your situation might be different to mine

Xxxx