Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

2nd baby + more

Hey ladies!

I'm expecting our 2nd baby, a little boy in February. I'm starting to think about the birth ect and have a few questions. I was wondering how your 2nd labour was in comparison to your 1st. Also, Im starting to worry about his weight. I have no reason to worry but my first daughter was born at 40+1 weighing 8lb 4oz. I'm expecting him to be a 10lber for some reason, he feels quite big already! I'm also told second babies and boys are usually heavier! Did you find your babies got bigger? 3rd and final question! When did your second baby arrive? I didn't mind being 1 day late with my DD but can I expect to go a similar time this time!? Thank you x

Replies

• cant answer your questions but also interested in answers. My DD was born weighing 8lb 15.5 at 40+4 and I'm also anticipating a whopper !! Apparently heavier isnt the worry its head circumference , providing thats similar it shouldnt make a difference x
  • hi heidi pie

i have one LO but also work with women in labour, if the baby is with the same partner - they are usually the same sort of weight or marginally bigger. Its unlikely your 2nd LO would be so much bigger unless for another reason or with a different partner.

you will feel bigger more quickly 2nd time as your tummy muscles give up the ghost faster!

as for timing of arrival - only nature knows - but 2nd babies are much more likely to be born early than first ones (once your body knows what to do its often more efficient!) also the good news is that your body is often more efficient at starting labour, and throughout labour and delivery image no guarantees though!

My LO was 8lb 13oz and i am tiny (baby has a big daddy) so LO was crushed in in and awkward position, i had ventouse and LO had a neck injury. Have told my OH im considering a different, smaller dad for number two lol!!! x
  • my second labour was totally different but that was only becouse i had twins but both pregnancies,they were early,first pregnancy i had him at 35wks and second pregnancy i had them at 31wks,my second pregnancy the labour was longer but i put that down to having an epidural as it slowed the labour down but it still was 6 1/2 hours from waters breaking to giving birth to them both,DS1 he was neaarly 8lb and the twins were both over 4lb each,try and not worry
  • Thank you for your experiences ladies! It just good to hear a few stories so I could possibly get some sort of idea what to expect.

Alfie222 - Thats really reasurring to hear also as this baby has the same daddy as DD image

• My 2nd labour was so different to my 1st, i was alot calmer as i knew what to expect, also i knew the pain was going to get worse so didnt make much fuss, it was alot quicker than my 1st and i think keeping mobile helped alot! i think when its your 2nd and uv been through it before you know when to go into hospital as with DS i went in really early and was only 2cm then with DD i held on and was 8cm when i got in the had her an hour later!! She was also alot bigger than my 1st, DS was 7lb 11oz (although he was 10 days early) DD was 9lb 8oz and was 4 days late xx
  • Hi, don't believe every story you hear on 2nd baby.

DD1 I was in labour for 49hrs from start to finish, she finally arrived 8days late & weighed 9lbs.

DD2 I was in early labour for 10days before we finally hit established labour, pushing stage was much faster (one quarter of the time of first), she finally arrived 7days late & weighed 7lb12.

In short anyhting goes, baby will still have their own schedule, the one thing that remained the same with both mine is that I hit established labour 24hrs before booked to be induced & had to have my waters broken at 8 dilated, otherwise they couldn't have been more different.

Best wishes.
  • Hi Hun 1st labour was 26 hours, DD arrived on her due date & weighed 7lb 6oz, my son however was 30 hours labour which was more intense but that was down to being induced as waters broke but I didn't go into labour, the pushing 2nd time round was so much easier & took a fraction of the time. He was 9 days early & weighed 8lb 2oz xx
  • Thanks ladies! I'm really enjoying reading how they compared. I guess I have to be as open minded as the first time and we'll see what happens! image
  • I'm really interested in this too, my son was 7lbs 6.5oz, born at 39+4 and the labour lasted 6.5hrs. I keep hearing stories about no2 being much quicker - from what I can tell generally second babies are quicker in arriving and a bit bigger than their elder siblings... But there's always going to be exceptions to the rule. Fingers crossed for us both image

• my first dd was born at 39 +3 and was 8lb 7.5oz

my 2nd dd was born at 39 weeks and was 8lb 9oz they have different biological fathers.

first labour was 6 hours, an hours worth of it was pushing.

2nd labour was also 6 hours but only 12 mins of pushing.

both were back to back labours!

xx
  • Thank you for the replies!

• my first labour was in labour for 4 days, my water came out in the bag between my legs(tmi) and had to be burst, son arrived 15 mins later, with 2nd labour with my daughter was in labour 13 hours, but stayed home till i wanted to push, was only in hosp 20 mins before waters broke and DD came shooting out lol, my son was 7lb 4oz, and daughter was 7lb 13.5oz both to same dad, both very short at 46cm lol, this time im 5 weeks gone and to a diff dad and worried about all sorts, loosing baby ect as alot of friends have this past year, alos about having twins or triplets as his mum was a twin, his brother and sister are twins, my grandad is a triplet, 2 sets of my cousins are twins and my mum had twins which she lost before she had me lol, so pretty common on both sides haha xxx