Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Alergic to paracetamol help?!!

Ive just read on another post that you can't take ibprofen when you are pregnant? Is this the case as I am alergic to paracetamol and so can only take ibuprofen for pain relief. I also have a really bad back and do take ibuprofen at the moment for that.

Oh no very worried now! image

Replies

• Hi

Yes, you do need to avoid ibuprofen, esp in first 12 weeks, not sure after that. I am off work today with bad back - pulled it yesterday. Maybe phone your GP or MW for advice. The nurse called me back this morning and was very good.

LL
  • Yes you need to avoid Ibuprofen throughout as there is something in it that affects the baby.

I would speak to Dr, midwife, or pharmacist re back pain, I have mainly used a hot water bottle or baths to manage back pain in pregnancy
  • I would recommed 4Head for headaches instead of tablets and it makes your skin go warm then it goes cool and tingly maybe rubbing it on your back would help?
  • Yes you must avoid ibuprofen especially in the first trimester. Speak to your GP or midwife and see if there is an alternative, like codeine (which ive had in pg before)
  • Ibuprofen causes the umbilical artery to close up and can result in brain damage or even death of the baby. In fact the most dangerous time is in the last trimester although there is a higher risk of miscarriage in the 1st.

http://www.otispregnancy.org/files/ibuprofen.pdf

Codeine is a much safer option.

H xx