Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Itching and not feeling myself - advice needed

Hi ladies,

I'm 29 +6 today and for the last 2 days I've been really itchy, mostly at the top of my bump but it ocassionally is happening elsewhere on my body. Has anyone else had this? What can I do to stop it? I've tried calling both of my midwives but one is on annual leave until tomorrow and the other is off until Wednesday.

Any advice appreciated.xx

Replies

• hi. i could have written the title myself. i think i am exactly the same stage as you (am losing track!) but i have had itching all the way through this pregnancy (did not have it last time!). i have also been feeling really poorly this last week.

re the itching, mine seems to be hormonal. they are letting me take piriton at night and they have also let me use steroid cream very sparingly. it has helped a bit but i still scratch so much it makes me bleed. it seems to be pregnancy induced excema.

you must get it checked out though. try and see the doctor if you cannot get through to the midwife. you need a blood test to rule out liver problems. it is very unlikely in your case, because of where the itching is (palms and soles of feet is an issue) but you must get it checked. a friend of mine did have a problem with her liver and unfortunately her baby was stillborn. it is a simple blood test and you should get the results quickly to put your mind at rest.

in the mean time, try bathing in aveeno oatmeal - seems to take the edge off for me.

take care. x
  • Hi,

I don't want to panic you but there is a serious pregnancy complication called obstetric cholestasis which I had with my son.

If they know you have it then there is nothing to worry about as you can be monitored but it is important to be diagnosed.

IT IS VERY RARE! About 1% of pregnancies so don't panic but I would definitely say any severe itching (by this I mean you just can't stop itching in a frenzy for any length of time) and particularly itching on hands and feet with or without a rash needs to be looked at by a midwife/gp.

If you are also feeling unwell then definitely get seen as a matter of urgency and if after 20 weeks I'd ring labour ward if you have to as they will take it seriously.

As I say it is rare and itching is very common in a normal healthy pregnancy so in most cases its fine. Just if it is very severe, preventing you sleeping sort of thing, then please do get checked.

Let us know how you are x
  • ps. I had OC and I my itching started on my bump and only later on went all over and mildly to my hands and feet which is why my diagnosis was missed initially.

It is more important regarding severity of the itch and your general health.

If they are worried they can do a simple blood test.

For more info see here:

http://www.ocsupport.org.uk/about.html
  • Hi TulipRose. That is the liver problem I was referring to but couldn't remember the name. Interesting to hear that it started on your bump as I thought it was only hands and feet.

Defo worth getting it checked for. I got it ruled out for peace of mind.

• Thank you for your replies Grey Mum and TulipRose. I woke up in the night last night itching and feeling extremely hot, so much so that I had to take my pjs off and lie under a cool sheet.

I have got a little itch every now and then on the side of my fingers but nothing really on my feet. I can't see any rash though I'm now worried and thinking perhaps I should call delivery? I've read the link you gave Tulip Rose, thank you. I am now thinking it could be this!
  • A girl i worked with also had the OC and had to be monitored for the last several weeks of her pregnancy due to liver complications, try and get into an appointment with the midwife as soon as possible
  • Starangels83...

I really don't want to worry you but its always better to be safe than sorry with pregnancy so PLEASE phone your delivery suite or midwife as a matter of urgency. Even if it allows you to feel reassured then its really worth it.

In the later stages I had itching on the sides of my fingers too. Its a bit indiscriminate where it comes on and I think the fact you feel something isn't right is the main thing. You MUST trust your instincts as a Mummy.

A rash is uncommon and not usual for OC so please get yourself seen with or without. In my case they think my rash was an allergic reaction to the bile acids.

Please do let us know how you get on....its a simple blood test which will make you feel safer whatever the outcome. If you are diagnosed then you will feel better knowing you are looked after and if not then that's fab!image

They also have a fb page if you want to ask a question from someone who has more knowledge x
  • Hi ladies,

Just thought I'd update you on what's been happening. After another difficult night on Monday I phoned my midwife first thing and she asked me to go in for a blood test at 11am. Which I did and thankfully hubby came with me as I had a funny turn afterwards and became so hot, with a pulse of 120 and started to get chest pain. The midwife called in the nurse adn the doctor who did an ECG, checked my blood pressure, both of which were normal and thought it could be acid reflux which once I was laid on my side became worse. Baby's heartrate went Taccycardic (sp?) but calmed down and she was moving so they were happy with how she was doing but more concerned about me. I had to have some gaviscon, delightful stuff, and they kept me there to monitor me for half an hour. The pain started to subside and they agreed to let me go home to rest on the condition that if the pain came back I had to go straight to A & E. Thankfully, it hasn't come back so I'm still at home.

As for the itching, it's not gone by any means but has eased a little. The hospital called with the bloods results which they said were normal but said to keep an eye on things and that the midwife will need to re-test my blood weekly as long as the itching continues as it can take up to 2 weeks to show sometimes. Was that the case with you Tulip Rose?

I see my midwife every Thursday for weekly heart monitoring of baby so know I'll be kept an eye on. Really hoping everything will turn out ok, as at 30 weeks I still feel I have ages to go and will worry until she is here safe in my arms. image
  • oh starangels - have been looking out for an update. what a horrible time you have had. good news that it is not looking like OC at the moment, but also good news that they are monitoring you closely and giving you good advice.

hopefully your funny turn was a one off and things will settle down for you soon.

xx
  • Hello hon,

Well done for getting it checked out and I'm so pleased the level was ok. Yes it is very true that your bile acids can take 2 weeks to rise from when the itching starts and its great (and very reassuring) that they will therefore repeat the bloods.

In my case I waited a week before I mentioned it to the midwife and then it was another week before I phoned the hospital and got tested. My levels were just rising.

I seem to remember the normal level in pregnancy is under 14 and over 40 is quite serious but under that and they aren't sure how risky it is....maybe not much different to normal even.

At my hospital they didn't have the equipment to do the BA blood test so I had to wait 48 hours for my results. Its good they have been more speedy for you.

I'm sorry you had a scary experience at hospital but really glad its calmed.

Fingers crossed for the next few weeks that it all subsides and I hope you can see the extra monitoring as reassurance rather than extra worry. Remember that if they are monitoring you then you would be diagnosed and if so they believe there is no greater risk than in a normal pregnancy. The fab bit is hopefully you don't have OC. If you are diagnosed there is medicine to reduce the levels etc and options to keep baby safe.

Try to relax and save your energy up for labour and cuddling your little bundle of joy! xxx
  • oh and I forgot to say....

in terms of managing the itch if it gets really awful you could try:

ice packs

bath/shower

walking around naked

menthol gel (ask mw)

light clothing

exfoliating gloves if you must itch but don't want to damage skin

If you notice the itch really worsen I'd get seen again. For me showers really helped but piriton etc doesn't help an oc itch.

Hope you can get some rest x
  • Hi Starangels,

I've been thinking of you and wondering how you are doing.

Has the itch eased a bit for you? Hope so!image

Best wishes xx