Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flying...,

I was going to put this in the baby forum but seems a bit quiet.

So hoping all the second time mums and new mums 2b can let me know what you think.

I won't go into the long story but hubby is in the forces and is going away for 7/8 months from mid march, I'm due end April. Still not sure he'l b able to come back for a bit for the birth yet, but have our fingers crossed. Anywho hubby will have some leave when he gets back Oct/nov when baby will b 6 or 7 months old ish my question is........

Is that too young to take away on holiday? Not far only somewhere about 4 hours flight or something?

As would like to spend some family time just the 3 of us as he will have been away so much.

What do u guys think? Honest answers I'd rather know it's not a good idea, and we might have to wait till his April 2013 leave when baby will b almost a yr. But would like too earlier ideally.

Thanks x x x

Replies

• Options
    My cousin took her son to Corfu when he was 6 months old and they got on really well and he was fine on the flight
  • Options
    my uncles g.f flew over yesterday with there 8 week old, they flew form australia, so 24 hour flight, they got on good and he slept alot of the way and she just took small toys in her bag for im to play with, xx
  • Options
    A friend of mine has taken her daughter to Tunisia a fair number of times since she was a few weeks old, so I should have thought you will be fine. It sounds like a lovely idea x
  • Options
    We took DD to Lanzarote when she was 6 months and I'd say it was an ideal age - she was more adaptable re sleeping arrangements and couldn't walk or crawl so we were safe around the pool in that respect. This year will be a different story! x
  • Options
    Thank you guys. I wasn't sure what ages was ok but sounds like I should b ok.

I am sooooo glad as I worried people would think I was mad wanting to take a young baby on holiday. Iam so excited now I can look into booking a holiday!!

This might b a stupid question but do they need their own passport?

X x
  • Options
    yeah they need there own passport these days xx
  • Options
    You'll be fine hun. I used to be an air stewardess and we had babies on the flights all the time and they were fine. It'll be lovely for the 3 of you to get away image xx
  • Options
    Thank u lisabby will look into that, see what I need to do to get a passport.

Thanks Michelle that's good too know. Very excited now the thought of us all together no one else for a week or so then hubby can spend some quality time with baby and as a family

X x
  • Options
    Hi, we went to South Africa when my DS was 4 months old. I was terrified but she was an angel. You could see the other passengers faces thinking she'd be screaming but actually it was the toddlers that were the problem. I would be very hesitant about doing it at the mo, she's 2 1/2. We stayed with family and then drove the garden route for a week. She was so portable, we went out in the evenings as she would sleep in her pram. Wish I'd relaxed more to be honest as she was so easy. Would definitely recommend it. The air stewards were great too and got on the plane first, and got better seats!
  • Options
    Ooo im glad you asked this as i really wanted to go on a little holiday with hubby and a potentially 3month old. hubby goes afghan later this year and want to do something as a family before he goes. glad to see the consensus is baby will cope ok image x
  • Options
    Hi Faye

We plan to fly back from Dubai when baby is 4 weeks old - as soon as passport is ready really - so that we can introduce him to friends and family. I'll then be flying again when I come back in the summer (3 months old) - and I'll be doing it on my own that time, scary thought! I have a friend who flew back from Dubai with a 2-week old - apparently the younger, the easier it is.

xx
  • Options
    Thanks guys sounds like all should b ok then. Think we are going to go for it! Hubby has been excitedly looking for holidays.

Good to know others have taken babies on hols young too. I'm really excited about it now. Got baby's arrival and a hussy to look forward too!!

X x
  • Options
    My ds was 4 months and was great, its when they get older the fun really begins and expense when they hit 2 and they need their own seat!!

You'll be fine x
  • Options
    Thank u Hun x x