Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anti biotics and meds in pregnancy

Hi all,

Just after some thoughts on taking anti biotics in pregnancy. I've been given some this morning as they think i have gallstones (great) and as a precaution in case there is infection. They've given me Cefalexin but i just hate the idea of taking medication. So far this pregnancy i have had the flu jab, taken omeprazole and paracetomoland i'm just getting really anxious that these drugs are going to take a negative effect. Has anyone else been prescribed meds and am i just being paranoid?? I never took a thing with my son and feeling bad about potential damage i could be doing - any experience or advice is welcome!

Replies

• I've had penicillin for a streptoccocus infection and then had to have 2 separate weeks of prednisolone for an allergic reaction I had from the infection!! I wasn't comfortable taking them, and if I had to have another course, I would just put up with the pain/illness. Despite being told that many people take them with no problems, I still had to niggle that I could be the exception! I take paracetomol when I need it, but keep it to a minimum.

Saying that, antibiotics, especially the family of antibiotics you have been prescribed, have been used widespread for years. There are some I would avoid, such as Enroflaxins. But....also, I tend to avoid antibiotics unless I'm taking them for a definite reason, not just to cover a possibility of infection. After being so ill earlier in my pregnancy, I might not want to risk feeling that bad again.

Not sure any of that has been helpful!!!
  • Hmmm, thanks Windy. I know we are about the same stage too so that really does help. Like you, i try not to take anti biotics anyway and very rarely go to docs.

I think if i had an infection and i was ill i'd def take them as i think you need to be well for the baby to be happy but i've been given these in case there is an infection which seems a bit unnecessary. I am no doctor though!! Think i might give it a day or so and see how i feel and if i start to feel poorly, will take them.

Thanks for your help x