Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

First pregnancy worries

Hi everyone,

I have just found out im pregnant for the first time im only around 3ish weeks i think. I feel like I have a million questions already and was wondering if anyone can help.

Firstly I work as a nurse in ITU there are lots of turning patients and infections about the place but I feel its too early to say to anyone at work that im pregnant. Im worried about how much of a risk im putting the baby at such an early stage, at first I wasnt too concerned but now I think im over thinking it.

The other is my job was given to me as a temp contract of 12 months, does this mean im not entitled to maternity leave/pay when it comes to it as my contract will end next January?

Am I just worrying myself?

Replies

• Options
    Hi I was working as a nurse in my first pregnancy and did in fact tell people early but this was due to handling cytotoxic drugs. When it comes to infections unless there is something specific that would cause you harm when pregnant such as shingles if you do not have immunity then if you are using universal precautions you will be protected against most things. Being in ITU from my previous experience I would say that you would probably be moving patients with lifting aids/support from colleagues and would be safer than I maybe am with a lively toddler who constantly wants lifting up! With regards to NHS maternity leave I actually had to pay back much of my pay as I did not return to my job after but got to keep the statutory part. Once you have decided the time is right to inform your work you will need to discuss this with your HR department. Good luck with your pregnancy x