Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

struggling to sleep on my side

At nearly 18 weeks, I've been making a real effort for several weeks to start sleeping on my side, but without fail I end up flat on my back. How much of a problem is this? I've only put on 2 pounds so far, so don't believe my bump weighs much yet to be pressing on blood vessels etc. Surely in years gone by, before all the medical advice, ladies were sleeping on their backs all the time. I've read about these special long pillows to keep you on your side, but to be honest, there's no room for it in a standard double bed! Anyone else having this problem? And are there any ladies who've slept on their backs all the way through?

Replies

• Options
    I always start on my side and end up on my back. I make sure i sleep on a pile of pillows so that i am not flat on my back when i do roll over. I don't remember sleeping on my back later in in pg with the boys. I think nature may take over. I always favoured my right side. Talk to your mw if you are worried. Xxx
  • Options

I still try and sleep on my back and could for a while but now my bean is heavy and my back does hurt. I tend to roll on my back and wake up and move on my side again now although not very elegantly anymore as i get bigger and bigger!!

G xx

• Options

Thanks girls, glad it's not just me.  Hopefully instinct will take over when I get a bit bigger.

• Options
    I always fall asleep on my stomach, its so hard to change your sleeping habit!xx
  • Options
    Sian, you won't be doing that for much longer! Seriously wait till you have a heavy bump and it is a struggle to move!! Xx
  • Options

I'm normally a tummy sleeper too and face the right. The last couple of weeks have just been a bit too uncomfy so I've tried being on my left side but always wake on my back.

I haven't got one of those long pillows but I have found just propping my leg on a normal pillow helps. Sorry, that isn't much good for space in the bed but maybe you can get by with just a smaller sofa size cushion under the bump? x x

• Options

I do have one of the long pregnancy pillows and they are amazing - so comfortable and keep you on your side as you physically can't turn over.

G x

• Options

Sleeping on tummy from 12wks should be avoided as baby moves up out of the pelvis area & your weight becomes more directly focused upon them.

Sleeping on your back from 20wks should be kept to minimum as baby's weight will press down upon your spine & blood vessels restricting the amount of oxygen reaching you & baby.  If you are more comfortable sleeping this way you should prop yourself up with plenty of pillows so you are not flat uponn your back.

The preferred/desired sleeping position is upon your side with lower leg straight & upper leg bent across it.  The left side is preferrable over your right as this should maximise your circulation & also encourage baby into the optimum position for birth.

• Options

I slept on my back at 9 months pregant. My bump wasnt that heavy and to be honest, when I got uncomfortable my body ached so I changed position. Your body will let you know when sleeping on your back becomes a problem. I  am a big believer in listening to your own body so try to just do what feels right to you xx

• Options

I second the long pregnancy pillow!! It's amazing!! I used to wrap my legs around it so I was kind of in the positions that KazzieM mentioned. Still use that pillow now hehe!! 

x