Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hospital medication whilst pregnant

Hi all,

Just after a little reassurance. Bit of background,  I'm 31 weeks now and have had had several outbreaks of gallbladders attacks during this pregnancy.  I have to have my gall bladder removed after bubs is born but this was discovered too late so its just been getting worse to the extent that i was admitted to hospital overnight twice last week .  I'm really anti medication in pregnancy but so far in this one due to the extreme pain, i've had to take paracetomol on a few occasions, some anti biotics and this week whilst in hopsital i was given codine and IV paracetamol.  I know everyone says that paracetamol is safe but I have done the stupid thing of googling and seen that there is some link to infertility in boys and breathing problems for some babies and i'm now feeling really guilty.

Has anyone else had to take meds whilst pregnant?  I'm trying to remind myself that the docs wouldn't have given me the meds if there was a chance they'd cause harm and i really have been in in extreme pain.  Sorry to be needy but anyone with any advice would be appreciated image

Replies

• I think they'd only have given you them if they felt it was better for you to take them than be without. I recently had a panic as found out my medication that I take daily causes birth defects in rats and that due to the newness of it they don't know if it has any effect on human babies. My GP said that in his opinion the risk to me by not taking it was greater than the risk to the baby. I've taken the decision to stop taking it now and try to go it alone as I would feel so guilty if my baby has been affected. I think the odd occasion is not going to have hurt your baby hun and they wouldnt have let you have it if they thought the risk to baby wasnt worth it, it seems these tests they do where there have been problems have been when something has been taken in very high doses. Try not to worry xx

• Hi essexmummy, I know how you are feeling, ive suffered with gallbladder attacks on and off for nearly four years now. Im currently 13+4 and have been taking omeprazole since before this baby was conceived. I try not to feel guilty about this as I literally cannot function when in or close to attack mode and I have a 3yr old and 5 month old to look after as well. There is lots of conflicting advice/opinions on the use of this during pregnancy, but like the other poster said, if the risk to you of not taking something is greater than the risk to the baby, try not to feel too bad about it. When I had my last attack I was in pain for 6 weeks. I am due a review in october, and if still bad will be having my gallbladder out after baby is born. Do you know about diet regarding gallbladder attacks? Really hope you start to feel better soon. X
  • Thanks both, really helps to know i'm not the only one!  I think we sometimes foget that our babies are strong little things and the risks are sooooo tiny with all of this stuff, just can't help worrying!!  I totally agree babies must be affected when we are in pain and poorly so, with my rational head on,  it has to be better to take medication recommended than stay in pain and the docs have to be so careful these days -  Sian -you are right that all the tests on rats are in major high doses and so unlikely to have the same effect on u.  Thank you for your reassurances.

MyBs - I also took omeprazole early on too- all the reports is read said that it was fine for pregnancy due to the way its absorbed. It truly is the worst pain and i cannot wait to have my operation once bubs is safely here!  Yeah, i'm currently on a strict fat free diet and have managed to lose 3lbs in the last week which is a bit weird in your 3rd trimester!  Could absolutely kill for a bar of chocolate right now but thank god for Haribo and Starbursts otherwise i would be one miserable pregnant bird for the next 8 weeks!! I hope you don't have too much trouble with this pg - I know how awful it can be and how long the attacks can last.  Hope all stays well

xx

• Haha wow well there has to be some benefit eh?! I have really researched this alot, and unfortunately its not just the fat image basically it seems most "nice" foods have an acidifying effect on the body, and we need alkaline. Which is mostly just fruit and veg. When im close to attack all I can eat that wont immediately cause me pain is ryvita crackers and apples! With my first pregnancy I, got gallbladder attacks all the time, but during my last pregnancy I managed to avoid getting any! Not holding out much hope this time round though. Some reassurance - don't know if this is your first pregnancy or not, but I found labour infinitely less painful than a gallbladder attack! X